Liverpool hauliers 1970/80

Guesty44:

jam man:
Hi Guesty. Turks from Kent? Don’t think I remember them.Burggess yes brown with a proper fruit headboard about Severn foot high…did Tony sitoriuos? Work with you He lived Earle rd. by the cop shop… My dad drove a red Bedford for Frank Hughes. And I used to go with him Saturday and holidays 1st job was to pick up flowers from lime st train for Fitzpatrick , Stan Hughes was the salesman then ( suit trilby snappy dresser) then down to I.O.M. Ferry to pick up kippers for the fish mkt we would truck them off on a hand truck(slingsby) my dad then would pick up big block of ice from the ice store , In Williamson Sq. At the end of the cod storage building on a flat wagon we would crumple old newspapers up into balls and load the blocks on them with big sisser type tongs, the paper would reduce them moving around and take them and "electric?) in bags to the hotels then around to The pet shop in marybone pick up cages of puppies etc. and deliver them to the side street opposite Daniels in between the sweet shop and the pub? To a stall holder …after tipping the kippers I would join some other kids chopping empty boxes for firewood a old lady with a pram would buy them from us AND THEN down the steps into Browns Cafe for the BEST tasting cheese on toast . After that my dad would retire to the PuB
I would mind our ( wrap ups) kippers, salt fish,fruit,and usually a Rabbit) all for home we never went short
After the pub we would pick up the pet cages and take them back to the pet shop and then 6.00pm we would go home in the wagon of course and so ended another Saturday ,we would do repairs on the wagons on a Sunday

Iremember brown cafe oppisite Daniels Roy woods Was one that del: apples to from kent allways gaves us barrow boys
1 shilling for a couple of bacon butties (A & R J Woods Transport ) I am forgetting names from years ago. probley did Know
him from earl road as I wasn’t far from there (just of upper parly-Granby street school.)
Turks allways there on set first that is a much later pic that I borrowed to see if it will jog your memory
GUESTY44

Take Care Ron

I loved the summer holidays. Queens Sq. Was a hive of activity I loved it when (rich?) people came from the Stork hotel
To a bustling fruit mkt .
When I was older I would go to Dexters in Caruthers St A chap Rookie ran the traffic and get hired to help tip& load
The wagons WHAT a bunch of top blokes I learned so much …Rookie would say "be in Queens Sq 4.30 " the first time I asked him “how do I get there the busses don’t start till 5.00 " on your SHANK’S” just thumb it BUT be there! A friend of mine Cliff his dad was on for dexters Mcnamee cliffy went on to work for John Jarvis …Jamaca St. But I already was a owner driver

Ron Forsyth