Over the water in the 90's EC and beyond

Some bloggers may have made this connection: I used to write LDDs (Long Distance Diaries) for TRUCK magazine in the '90s. In all but one case, I simply wrote about an interesting place I was going to AS A DRIVER (I did a Turkey, a Poland, a Morocco, a Spain, a Romania and I think one or two others - they’re all filed away in storage in UK).

The single LDD I undertook as a reporter, although I did a little driving, was a trip to Azerbaijan in 1997. I travelled with two Patrick White DAF 95s driven by Danny Cantril and a young New Zealander whose name escapes me for the moment; and a Seddon-Atkisnson Strato with the Space-cab, 365 Roller engine and Twin-splitter piloted by an owner-driver called Robert Cantril. We were joined by two excellent blokes off Willie Lambie in Scotland, also driving DAFs. It was the Sedi I drove for a spell during our crossing of Azerbaijan. The Twin-splitter was not the best of installations, but this unit had been running into Russia, Kazakhstan and all over central Asia. We met several other Brits on the same work travelling to and from Baku in Azerbaijan on that run. We tipped in the rig-blast yard north of Baku. These were the last of the hard-ba**stards on this work - it wasn’t all roses but it was a fantastic trip. Here are some happy snaps from it. Robert :slight_smile: