Over the water in the 90's EC and beyond

I haven’t had much time to catch up, but here’s the tale for this one.

I was doing 3 drops on Skye long before they put the bridge over to it, but was late away from the yard so I had to sit it out at Kyle of Lochalsh overnight as I had missed the last ferry. The ferry timing was a bit sporadic to say the least, but the first ferry was usually around 6 in the morning so I decided to sit at the bottom of the slope of the jetty. The sign used to read something like this…

First ferry 6am then about every hour and a half after that, if it gets busier there will be more runs. Last ferry 10 pm.

Quarter to 6 the next morning I got knocked up and told to either get of the jetty or on the ferry, so I rolled on, and legged it round Skye doing my drops. On the ferry the guy told me that there should be a sailing around ten-ish in the morning so it would be good if I could make it for then as it was winter and fairly quiet so they didn’t really want to do another one until around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Everything was going good until the last drop when I met a farmer that wanted to tell me his life story and the complete history of Skye since the ice age, and I had to listen to him as he could of been a potential customer.
It took me over 4 hours to get back to the ferry and I knew it was going to be tight. This was the sight that greeted me at quarter past ten. luckily I was on the good foot with the ferry crew and they came back for me. I was speaking the some of the crew on the crossing who had been waiting for me, and they knew the guy I was talking to and fully understood the situation.

Jeff…