Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Evening all, wow, bma, that really is a super drawing…bang on…and yes I still like my Valtra!..but she is hardly broken in yet!!!

Buzzer, I just cannot believe the prices some of these old tractors make…and they do not have to be tidy. Cherish yours, she will make you money, and be fun to operate.

Now Dave, you are out to cause trouble…Mr Fendts latest “Dieselross”. I have only ever owned one Fendt, a little 714, but what a worker, even with that "sliding " gearbox!

Most of us hereabouts are split between Massey, and John Deere. Personally I prefer the Deere`s, but both products are good…really rests on dealer support. We have a couple of 7920s, well looked after so the hours really do not show, then there is “Big Bertha”, on her tracks a gem on cultivation, and the Deere computers, well even I can understand them!!..but a tricky so and so, on a wet road with a power press front and back!!!..and with a trailer…remember how skittish those early BMC, and Commer 8ft wheelbase tractor units were…she is just like that , no probably worse!!!

My first “big” tractor was a Mercedes MB Trac1500. Bit old, but affordable, and just like a 1628 tractor unit, solid to drive, sounded gutless, but could do amazing amounts of work in the field, and lugging trailers…“.is it loaded”? She was great…another I should never have sold.

Cut my teeth on David Brown Cropmasters up on the Shropshire hills at Church Stretton, …the relentless battle against Bracken and Gorse, (and the plant always wins), but those Cropmasters were a very stable design on a steep hillside, and I always thought them a handsome machine to look at, and admire. And quiet, so you could sneak through Rattlinghope at the dead of night on a “mission”!!!

Happy days, feeling the sun beating down…or the relentless rain dripping through the sacking, jacket, and shirt…maybe things have improved!

Cheerio for now.