Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Evening Gentlemen, beautiful sunny day today, so I attended to our pressing problems…due to the deluges that we have endured for the last several weeks, our normally quietly functioning septic tank drainage system has become somewhat beucholic…Swelled by the soakaways change of function…from draining the septic tank to the field, to now draining the field to the septic tank! Oh ye that live, (and enjoy), mains sewers, never ever begrudge the fees that you pay to your water company, for the sight of ones manhole covers performing a modest ballet as the irrepresable pressure within forces them upwards is one not to enjoy!!

While sitting in the clean air of the Valtra`s cab, enjoying the warm sunshine flooding through the windows, lulled by the gentle throb of her fine engine, (and trying to ignore the death like rattle of the vacumn tanks compressor, as over 1500 gallons of the water table zipped up the pipe), my mind turned over the delights of that golden nectar the humble whisky.

Jazzandy is right about the peaty Octomore, there is an unopened bottle in the office…nestling alongside that dreamlike distilling from Islay, the Bowmore, and a well drunk bottle of my lowland favourite from the banks of the river Teith, Deanston. I could never make up my mind if I preferred Deanston, or Auchentoshan, (took many a glass, and I still cannot make up my mind! Do you Gentlemen like a wee Tamdu, Im afraid that I have now stopped drinking Glengoyne…enjoyed a complete bottle one night with a fine upstanding Perthshire farmer, buying a Scania 143…shame that the lorry was not as upstanding as the drink!!! Hey and there is nowt wrong with Massey`s products, just a shame that they are not built in Coventry anymore!

Davidoff and Michel, by all means come via Reims, but these modern cars will carry more than one case of Bollinger!..and while you are in Reims go via the Expo Park, see if Garages Colosio are still going, they used to be ERF dealers for quite a time.

Richard, is your, (superb looking), Big J, the ex Brian Meridith, (Fordhouses Transport), and then Thomas Ingles lorry? I remember her still in primer paint!

So the tank was full, I retrieved the hoses, packed all away…and with dismay heard the tinkle, tinkle as the field remorselessly drained back into the septic tank…so decided to go in for my sandwich…not so, I was turned around at the door, and told that my “effervescent odour” was less than welcome, the door only re opened for my daughters hand to thrust my plate of President Brie, and bread towards me! (Tell me, do Massey et Boule still carry this most excellent Brie…or has Norbert snapped up this distribution job as well)?

Still I was able to sit in the winter sunlight and reflect upon the handsome lines of my Valtra, (despite BMAs warnings she seems a good tractor), and surprisingly she sips less claret than the big Deere`s.

On reflection I shall stick to my Bollinger nightcap…though tonight, (fresh scrubbed), I almost took a copious Blackbush…but the bubbles have it!!

Cheerio for now.