Roy bradford & lawrabian freight

I wonder where the old drivers are now such as
GERRY Mcgraw ex manchester
MICK HAWKINS ex catford
ROY AXLE ex Northampton
JOHN BRADFORD now living in Manchester
BIG T sadly passed away after a serious crash on the M1…
ROGER the RABBIT…now on the sellers run ex new Cross
IAN (alias PETE) ex catford
MICK FINCH now on MJD
Captain Rumo i last saw him when i visited Roy Bradford over some unfinished business…he was still trading but in the old car auction in manor road erith…
Fred Topham roys old partner at lawrabian Freight was running a firm in brentwood.called Delamode and employing Romanian drivers…but the ministry told him to sack them cos they didnt have a licence to drive gb registered vehicles…good job too…

an ex driver of astrans phoned me today for one of my doha’s anyway his name is david or dave walker from astrans in the 60’s and 70’s knows you bob says he gave you a lift home once and says he took john williams on his first trip to qatar as john was from the office and was only going to price the job up he knew ■■■■ snow from ipswich or felixstowe cant remember which any way had a great chat for 25 mins what a great bloke really nice i had a lot of time for him great bloke.

anyway bob i pm you his phone number.

also said he got the scania drawbar from doha brand new. from the earls court show where it was on the scania stand on show. it was called the " the elk " due the first 3 letters of the reg being elk.

well done JD…for that info…and i will give dave a ring…think i got a picture of him somewhere…in my head…

Anyway i forgot a couple of names

Buffalo Bill (last heard he lost some toes) was working with E.O.Legs
also.Ernie…had a black Mack…and went into warehousing…
Mick Chinnock…Joe 90…another couple

I heard about a do organised for a few eastern drivers with Joe 90 at the helm. Mr Magoo (Jones) and Jem Cockerel, Tony Meddings.

Im hoping to trip over Chamberlain laying outside a bar at the TT this year :stuck_out_tongue:

truckyboy:
…last saw him when i visited Roy Bradford over some unfinished business…

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Come on truckyboy…do tell :smiley: :smiley:

This should be “interesting”… :laughing: :laughing:

truckyboy ; I think Delemode was running out of Braintree. The last I heard Steve ( From Charlton. Can`t remember his second name. ) did a trip to Casablanca for them. Steve used to run ME for Hiltons in the old days. Just remembered …Steve Dalton

truckyboy:
well done JD…for that info…and i will give dave a ring…think i got a picture of him somewhere…in my head…

Dont think Buffalo Bill is with us anymore, sure he passed away a few years ago, dont go down that way anymore so outa touch, which joe 90? there was a few around in the early 70’s musta bin a specs thing!
sdj

Biggles:

truckyboy:

Dont think Buffalo Bill is with us anymore, sure he passed away a few years ago, dont go down that way anymore so outa touch, which joe 90? there was a few around in the early 70’s musta bin a specs thing!
sdj

Not the same Buffalo Bill we used to see in Greece Steve, married a bubble, and allways wanted to swap books with anyone who had a book he hadnt read, i remember Alex i think it was saying about him having to have a toe or 3 amputated cos he didnt trust the foreign doctors doing an op to save em. Must be him i suppose :confused:

kindle530:

Biggles:

truckyboy:

sdj

Not the same Buffalo Bill we used to see in Greece Steve, married a bubble, and allways wanted to swap books with anyone who had a book he hadnt read, i remember Alex i think it was saying about him having to have a toe or 3 amputated cos he didnt trust the foreign doctors doing an op to save em. Must be him i suppose :confused:

i worked with buffalo on fahion link he did have some toes off probly eat them

when i came to uk last year saw bill in the yard he looked ok bfn egg on legs

truckyboy:

Would Joe 90 perhaps be Joe Bowser? Used to live in Whitstable,now driving buses in Aberdeen.
He drove for Astran around '75-'78,had to give up the driving because of back trouble then went in the warehouse for a while.

Last saw Mick Chinnock when he was driving for Fred Archer out of Ipswich around '82.
He and Fred had a bit of a fall out after Mick had disappeared for nearly two months on a trip to Saudi.Turned out he’d been doing internals with Fred’s truck.

Hummm! This is a bit of a worry. I just found this site by chance, registered and the first thing I click on in this forum has already got me saying ‘I remember that name’.

My name is David Miller. I started on the middle east with John Ellingham sometime in 73 just after the demise of Bosphorus Express driving a blue and yellow Scamell Crusader that was lettered up 'Eileen Ellingham (John’s good lady wife) Middle East.
From there I went to Oryx and drove an 89 GKO190N
Then to Altrex Transportbidrijf driving ‘Bear’ and from there to the best of all, Grangewood Transport where I drove an F12 UMU930S.

When Grangewood folded I went to work for the ex- transport manager, Ray Smith, who had started a firm called Fridco with a Daf 3300. The real times of the middle east were over by then and Fridco only did European so I went back to sea. For a lot of years now I have been living in Spain, Mallorca, and out of the transport game.

So; Joe 90. Where is he now? And Egg on Legs. Are you the same Egg on Legs that I remember from that time? Micky Chinnock. Of course I remeber Micky. He’s here?

So here’s some more names:
Kenny Ward. I am still in regular touch with Kenny and he was here on holiday a few weeks ago.
Pat Seal from Morcombe (is that how you spell it?)
Allen Warner. Last spoke to allen about a year ago. Hear he has FINALLY given up driving.
Ken Seal: Spoke to him last year. In Bagdad on something to do with security.
Jimmy Conners from Gt Yarmouth.
Terry Bishop
John Streek
The lads from Spiers and Hartwell
Mogens Hansen
Oh it goes on and on but I would be grateful for any word of that lot!

I could just have found an nice place here!

Just remembered another very important one: Gerry Wheelan. he came from Southampton way and was an OD with a grey or silver Mercedes pulling for Astran. last heard of he had a pub in Ireland.
And who remembers my special mate John Craig who died of sunstroke on the Kuwait border whilst driving for J&T? And a special big hello to that (zb) Fitzell who stole all his gear out of his truck after he died.

D

Sorry David, I appreciate the extreme reasons, but that word in that context, isn’t allowed :unamused: . But we get the picture :wink: . David.

David Miller:
Hummm! This is a bit of a worry. I just found this site by chance, registered and the first thing I click on in this forum has already got me saying ‘I remember that name’.

My name is David Miller. I started on the middle east with John Ellingham sometime in 73 just after the demise of Bosphorus Express driving a blue and yellow Scamell Crusader that was lettered up 'Eileen Ellingham (John’s good lady wife) Middle East.
From there I went to Oryx and drove an 89 GKO190N
Then to Altrex Transportbidrijf driving ‘Bear’ and from there to the best of all, Grangewood Transport where I drove an F12 UMU930S.

When Grangewood folded I went to work for the ex- transport manager, Ray Smith, who had started a firm called Fridco with a Daf 3300. The real times of the middle east were over by then and Fridco only did European so I went back to sea. For a lot of years now I have been living in Spain, Mallorca, and out of the transport game.

So; Joe 90. Where is he now? And Egg on Legs. Are you the same Egg on Legs that I remember from that time? Micky Chinnock. Of course I remeber Micky. He’s here?

So here’s some more names:
Kenny Ward. I am still in regular touch with Kenny and he was here on holiday a few weeks ago.
Pat Seal from Morcombe (is that how you spell it?)
Allen Warner. Last spoke to allen about a year ago. Hear he has FINALLY given up driving.
Ken Seal: Spoke to him last year. In Bagdad on something to do with security.
Jimmy Conners from Gt Yarmouth.
Terry Bishop
John Streek
The lads from Spiers and Hartwell
Mogens Hansen
Oh it goes on and on but I would be grateful for any word of that lot!

I could just have found an nice place here!

well dave i think i rember you i used to drive for o h s / lobo / pasagad
and a few cowboys
good old days last i heard about mick he was on holiday in turkey
so hows it going good i hope well i am liveing the good life here in thailand
with my thai wife get in touch maybe you can come over for a holiday all best ken e o l :laughing:

Ken. Now I’ve got you! It was the mention of OHS that did it. I had even forgotten that company - ain’t it a ■■■■■ getting old? - but now I do remember you. You sound as though you’ve got it sorted alright. I would love to take you up on that. I’ve always wanted to visit Thailand but hate going anywhere as the ‘tourist’ not knowing anyone or what the ‘craic’ is.

I’ve been in Spain now for 17 years and it’s very good indeed. I’ve got a business that is not transport related though we do run 2 trucks for our own stuff. They have their own drivers but I still make any excuse to get in one especially if there is an international trip to be done. In fact I was up in France and Italy a couple of weeks ago with our Renault. Having re-loaded in Milan I came back through the Frejus and made for that big Routier at Valence just off the old N7 where we all used to stop a lot. It’s still there and still owned by the same family but because it’s a sport that I don’t follow I found myself there with the only Spanish registered truck in the park on the night that France played Spain at Football!! Fortunately we lost and I made it out of there alive.

Good to speak to you again, Ken. I’ll PM you about travel possibilities.

David

David Miller:

David, do you remember Grangewood having an F89, VCW 33 or 34R, ex W. H. Bowker?

240 Gardner. In the years that I was there Grangewood had 2 89’s. One was driven by John Streek and the other by Terry Bishop but I am just about sure that both had been brought new because they had consecutive reg numbers and generally Tommo brought new motors. In all we had 2 89’s, 2 141’s and 2 F12’s but there were a load of subbies in Grangewood colours so the 89 you are thinking of may have been a subbies motor.
I’ll check with Kenny Ward - he remembers everything :laughing:

David Miller:
240 Gardner. In the years that I was there Grangewood had 2 89’s. One was driven by John Streek and the other by Terry Bishop but I am just about sure that both had been brought new because they had consecutive reg numbers and generally Tommo brought new motors. In all we had 2 89’s, 2 141’s and 2 F12’s but there were a load of subbies in Grangewood colours so the 89 you are thinking of may have been a subbies motor.

Cheers!

David Miller:

dave is that kenny ward from braintree? e o l

Mo mate. He’s from Doncaster and lives now in the Midlands.

David Miller:

grangewood i rember thier yard was just down the road from me in norman rd greenwich no 1 on the job egg dave sent you a pm