ERF 'European' (1975)

Evening all, fascinating thread this!

cookie1, you have brought back some memories for me about Trans Arabian. I suspect that it was David Hughes who talked Michael Jones into this venture, on the back of a lot of promises from OCL!

I believe that it made some serious money for the Group at one time…just as cash was flowing away in another. Am I correct in my recollection that Cliff Hardwick`s, (Opal Tankers, Fryers Rd Bloxwich, Uk agent for Magyr tanks), son went out to Saudi in some managerial role?

I recall that David and Michael offered ERF, (I think that Cyril Acton was still MD at the time, or it could have been the ex ■■■■■■■ guy…whose name escapes me at the moment…Brian ■■?)! the largest order from any operator for 335 Europeans, for Trans Arabia, and the answer was …no you cannot have them!!! Hence the second hands, the MWs and LVs. And of course your Macks!

ERF-Continental, one you have missed in Belgium, Marcel Coulior ran a 335 European on the Gas tanks, sourced for him via Humphries @ Calor Gas in the UK. Somewhere I have a photograph with the registration number. Came back as a part exchange on a big fleet deal for TR280 Berliets into Antwerp.

Your posts remind me of so many Belgium operators that I knew, and just how much I loved working there…6 day bike races, Kermesse, chips and mayonnaise,…but not the rain!!

Cheerio for now, and a happy New Year.