Ackworth / Onward Transport

trunker3:
Just found this site. Amazing!. I was a fitter at Selby from 1971 to 1976. I left just as the Guy Big J6Ts were arriving. In the garage at various times were Johno, Ron Parker, Ken Durkin, Billy Atkins, Harry Radford and one or two others whose names I forget. Some drivers I haven’t seen mentioned are, in no particular order, Harry Hutton, Bert Wintersgill, George Ransome, John Cousans, Johnny Singleton, Arthur Grit, Tommy Smith, Dave Moore. Manager was Mc Kelvie and the yard men were Ken Milner and Jimmy Southern. My dad worked for Onward from 1958 till 1967. He had to stop driving due to illness but fortunately Onward got the contract with Castrol and dad worked in the stores filling churns and putting up orders for the delivery wagons. These wagons were driven by Bert Wintersgill and his mate for a time (I think) was Archie Wood. Bert just delivered churns and filled the garage oil cabinets while a second wagon delivered other oils and grease etc. The drivers on this vehicle included Albert Ward, John Draper and Barry ? who later moved to London and did the London end of the shunting. Archie later had his own little truck (a Leyland threepenny bit cab job) before moving up to the big stuff. If there are any Onward/Ackworth historians out there does anyone no of or remember a depot in Hull?. My dad got a “new” wagon in 1960 and it was fully painted in the company colours but lettered Scott Street Warehousing. His first one, an old Seddon OLL 843 was still in faded red nationalised BRS livery.

By eck thas going back a bit mate long before my time, i worked with Archie when he worked from Ackworth and Mac he was transfered to Ack as well when the traffic stopped running from Selby he was pused out not long after BOC took over but he wasnt fussed he was ok Mac to be fair.
I still see one or two old retired drivers i will asked about the Hull depot.