Fanfare for the Commer man!

Cooper’s yard when I knew them was on the A41 just west of Wednesbury town centre I think, but this was back in the early 70s, just after he sold out to Charlie Dormer. Dormers allowed him to carry on more or less independantly but gave him us (Shaws) to look after. He used us as a staging post for his NE night trunk, but transferred a motor or two as well. For a time we were running Hedley Shaw’s old wagons (red & marroon), Dormer’s (green), and Reg’s (blue & red), all at the same time :open_mouth: .

In the interval after the Dormer takeover some of us had to spend each week in digs at Leytonstone servicing Charlie’s Calor Gas contract from his base there. I used to leave my wagon there at the weekend and come home and back in the car. At the end of it all I brought the car home on the trailer :wink:

Mentioning Calor Gas reminds me that I have a vague idea that Coopers became part of Air Products operation. Could be a connection there, just a niggle at the back of my mind :confused: :open_mouth: .

When I got fed up with Reg’s eccentricities I went to Ilkeston Haulage to see what nights were like. Only trouble was I could see the days as well - at the same time :unamused: :laughing:

Salut, David.