Funding for hgv/lgv Unemployed

DWYNE:
Do not let anybody tell you that the job centre does NOT pay for hgv / lgv training. I am currently doing my class 2 paid for by the job centre. Its not easy to get and you have to qualify. Here are a few examples that are fact.

DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVE NOT CLAIMED JSA FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS

Be unemployed for 6 months
PROVE that you have been looking for work
PROVE that you can get a job once you have the license straight away (very hard to prove)
You must not have savings or be able to borrow the money.

You will not get the training on your first request. You will have to appeal at least once in writing detailing why you think you should get free training. My advisor told me that only 8 out of 100 people get the training.

You must also prove that you have been applying for jobs
show jobs that are available that you would be eligible for. Remember 2yrs exp does not count
You must also continue to look for work throughout and take a job if one is offered.

once you have been given the training (if you are successful ) then the training goes out to tender. You must however pay for your own medical, cpc training (in some cases) digital tacho, travelling, work clothes. For some like myself this is the only way you can get into the hgv world. There is more to it than i have stated but this is the true basics. I wont give too much away as if you are serious about this work then you will figure it out for yourself. YOU MAY NOT EVEN GET THE TRAINING as the training is down to your advisor but as i have said this is how i got my training.

I have not posted this info to offend anybody. I have never had any funding from anywhere and was told to apply as i have a friend who works for dwp. Hope this helps someone

I had my training paid for by the DWP, pretty much the same as you’ve posted above, but I only had to show proof that there was work out there once I had passed. I only asked for funding for class 2, I obtained quotes for the course and it was all ignored, instead they approached Advantage (brokers) and paid for both class 1 and 2, along with a practical retest. It took 8 months for me to get a decision as to if I could have the funding, then a further 4 months for the course to start, so its not a quick and easy process, and as you have to be available and looking for work during that time, a job may come along and you’d lose the funding. Saying that, I was told that once funding had been granted and the course paid for, if I had found a job then I wouldn’t lose the course.

As said above, funding is not guaranteed, I know that having applied before many years ago, and I had to basically ‘sell’ myself to those who make the decisions as to why it was me they should be helping. And I am 100% grateful that I was given the opportunity and funding, and I sit here now with my class 1 on my licence, in regular work (albeit agency but hopefully leading to a full time job) driving class 2.