Guy

Bewick:

ramone:

Bewick:
The Big J was a great general fleet motor,and IIRC when it was fitted with a RR220 Eagle engine it became,along with the Seddon 32/4 with the same engine,the cheapest 32 ton fleet motor on the market in the later 60’s,early 70’s.The same criteria applied at Atkinson and ERF,their cheapest fleet motors for the large Oil co’s and big Supermarkets were their chassis fitted with the RR 220.Unfortunately it was only the likes of the Oil co’s,Supermarkets and BRS/NFC that could afford to run these (IMHO) obnoxious lumps of rubbish,but of course,the initial cost price suited the accountants at the various conglomerates,the actual costs of running said crap was not as important as it could be spread over a number of years within the accounts,but the lowest capital cost per unit at the outset was the main consideration.Cheers Bewick. :blush:

Why is that Dennis were they bad on fuel ,unreliable or both ?

Hiya “ramone”,the RR engine as far as tractor units were concerned (Automotive engines) IMHO were just noisy obnoxious lumps of uneconomical rubbish,if they’d been any good you would have seen them, appearing in quantity,in all the major haulage fleets of the era,did you,No ! Yes you always saw the odd one appear in the various hauliers fleets up and down the country but in the main it was only because there was a “financial one off inducement” or the particular haulier was so desperate at the time for a unit that there was no alternative to the RR engined chassis.Thankfully I was never placed in such an invidious postition otherwise I might have had to “top” myself( who’s cheering :cry: ).Ssssshudderrrr and perish the thought.Cheers Dennis.

Exactly what I was trying to tell your friend Carryfast on the ERGO thread when he was mistakingly praising RR diesel automotive engines, but as usual he wasn’t listening to those of us in the know.