Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

At some point in this thread, or perhaps another one, :blush: I mentioned that one of my favourites was the Albatross, under the Pont Aquitaine at Bordeaux.

I have not been back for years, always something came up to divert me, but last week at last I got the chance. I found the place but it isn’t called that any more. Now it is La Bouche a Oreilles, ‘By Word of Mouth’, which is appropriate as the reason why so many French routiers stay open long after by-passed is precisely that, young transport drivers listen to their elders and betters. :wink: :laughing:

Anyway I went inside, it seemed a little smaller than I remembered but the very attratcive young lady welcomed me with a big smile and my kir. I asked if it was the old Albatross but she shook her head and indicated next door. I think she was half right. Next door was much smaller and is now a kebab house, so I reckon that the old place was sold off and split.

It was a warm evening and I ate outside on the terrasse with the other drivers, the food and service was just as good as before with only one thing missing (a cheese course) which prevented it from being in the the very best category.

La Patronne asked where I had parked and I indicated the street, where we always used to park and indeed many were there this time too. She advised against, too noisy, and advised the industrial estate just off the roundabout. She was right, silent as the grave and a regular security patrol. She also said that she opened at 6 in the morning and that, as I had eaten there in the evening the shower next morning would be free. Excellent, it worked properly and was as clean as a whistle.

Definitely worth a return visit, whatever the name. :smiley: