BEST 'ERGO' ?

ramone:
CF, how can you say that the 3VTG cab would have been more successful than the Marathon when you know absolutely nothing about it ,all you know is what you`ve seen on here a few photos of a prototype that looked like a yank mounted on an AEC chassis for testing.You dont know what the ride was like ,the space inside, the visibility ,you know absolutely nothing whatsoever ,like most of your postings on here its either hindsight with your usual quote of history shows ,or just disagreement for the sake of it .I still cant quite make out why you compare the Marathon with the much higher powered F12 when it was the F10 which had a very similar output,maybe you wouldnt like the results of a test match between those 2.

Firstly ‘the ride’ of any wagon will be more dependent on the chassis engineering in the form of suspension design and axle placement than cab design although fitting suspension seats as standard would help.As for why I think the 3 VTG cab would have been better than a Marathon having spent enough nights out in the Marathon cab I’d certainly have preferred that LP in the pic.But an educated guess,based on US cab development,tells me that the 3 VTG cab would probably have had more potential for making something that was more competitive with that and the later Volvo F 10/12 than the Marathon ever was.Which seems to have been the same logic that AEC’s engineers were using.

As for comparing the TL12 powered Marathon and T45 with the F12 as opposed to the F10 maybe you’re forgetting about their comparative engine capacities.In which case it’s no good trying to lower the target to suit the fact that the TL12 was underperforming in terms of it’s specific outputs compared to the F12.Or for that matter the Rolls which was ‘eventually’ put into the T45 to try to make it competitive in terms of power output.

Yes I do often use the term ‘history shows’ because that’s exactly the term which proves the facts and the only way that you can make the facts show that the ERGO/Marathon were competitive designs would be by re writing history. :wink: