Nostalgia!!

Archie Paice:

john.nicholls:
Any of you lads help me as i remember working for a company over in Loughton Essex near Epping back in the early eighties all i can remember of the Company it the wagons were Yellow and they were all (or mostly Scania 110 s) no bloody sleepers and we were doing mostly Bulgaria and cheq and Romania, also i remember the rumour that the boss did nothing but sit in his office and count the money he was making every bloody day ! they paid good money,you never loaded your trailor over here all done by uk drivers,and old the units were, he had 3 full time Fitters,every time you came back the wagon would have to be parked up outside the workshop ready for a Service (and i mean ! every trip !) but for the love of money i cant think of the name of the company only there for a year and only left cos he wouldnt buy sleepers .

Hullo john.nicholls,
The only bloke I can think of with Yellow Scanias out of Loughton was Ray Phillips. He was up in North Farm in Loughton, Expo Freight. His motors were all well kept, but he also ran a lot of Sleeper Scanias, and I think he had a couple of Volvos as well. The only others I can think of in The Farm were Deptford Commercials ( Don Alexander ), Mavertons and Susbideries ( Lew Saintz and Nigel Downey ) Alex Fairlie, I forget what he was called, AF something ? or other. And another bloke who’s name escapes me. The only other firm I can think of was Green Dragon. But they were up the hill, about a mile away. Expo Freight were the only Yellow ones though (Yellow with a Blue Stripe )

Hi Archie - Having never ventured into the the ‘Nostalgia’ thread I found it quite interesting, particularly the point you raised about Ray Phillips (Expo) from Loughton. and the photo’s re: Pan Express and Dave Telford etc (Old memories eh ?) I worked for Pan’s (Only when being watched ) :wink: and when they packed up I was contacted by Ray Phillips by way of Johnny Ellingham and I did a couple of trips for him to Austria and as you mentioned he was a nice bloke, he offered me full time but I had other plans and for me it was a pig of a place to get to from Woking where I was living at the time, another name you raised was Mavertons and that nudged the old memory box. On reading through this thread I noticed that a lot of the the contributors who had disappeared from the Astran/Mideast are on here, I forgot to mention that when I went to Loughton I was surprised to see three of Pan’s tractors in the yard. regards Fred (Keep taking the pills) :slight_smile:
Cheers, Archie.