Documents & equipment required for international journey

Simon:

orys:

Simon:
It’s the same thing as European trucks driving around with no mud-wing tops on their unit. It is legally ok in their country, but you’d get pulled for it here because it isn’t legal for our trucks.

But surely you can’t get a ticket for it? Due to Vienna convention and all? As I am afraid to go to Poland now, as it’s illegal to have RHD car there… :slight_smile:

A foreign registered vehicle has to comply with their own Construction & Use Regs, even over here in the UK. The majority are fairly common throughout the EU and further afield. There are some variation in the exact details, for example artic unit mudwing tops. Some EU countries C&U Regs allow you to drive a unit and trailer without them. UK Regs do not, so a UK registered vehicle can’t do that without risking a ticket.
If that’s due to the Vienna Convention, then fair enough.

You should be ok in a rhd car in Poland, if it’s a UK registered car. I suspect you wont be able to re-register your rhd car in Poland though :stuck_out_tongue:
I wouldn’t know about Polish C&U regs, or import regs on this.

I know I can drive it there, I do it regularly (only last summer spent 6 weeks between Czech republic and Poland with my car).

My point is, the Vienna convention says (simplyfing): “if the vehicle is legal in the country of its registration, and both countiries are signataries of Vienna convention, then bugger of, mr Copper”. So I just assumed, that it should be the case: if UK made something illegal, then it can chase it’s own registered vehicles for it only. Same as if RHD cars are illegal in Poland, my car would not pass Polish MOT for this very reason. But they cannot say that my car is not roadwhorty because of that, as I have British MOT and it’s all up to British standards, and both countries agreed (with the convention) to respect each other standards on their roads…

I had such a situation once, when I was driving my British car with two different tires on my rear axle, which, as you propably know, is perfectly OK in britain as long as they are the same type and size. In Poland they have to be identical. I was stopped, guy wanted to do me for that, I told him it’s legal in UK, he asked me to wait, went to his car, spoke on the radio for few minutes, and then came back to say I am free to go… I would expect same thing to happen here to vehicles that are legal in their country, even if something is not legal here…

Of course there is a different thing if countres allow MORE than the commonly agreed bit, for example dimensions - you can’t go to most of EU countries with your 5 m high trailer, and Norwegians cannot come here with their 25,25m 80t road trains…

And btw: what’s mud wing top? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: