Daf xf 95 480

Hello Guys

I need some advice, I don’t know much about Trucks, I am originally from tanzania and I am looking to move there to start transportation company, To start with I will start with One Truck to test the water, I was planing to buy a scania but because of the high price tag, I have decided to go for a 2006 Daf xf 480

I have gone through the forum and I have read a lot of people who are happy with low cost and reliability of Daf XF

This is he first time I will be running a transport company, What advice will you give in looking after the truck and in particularly the Daf XF 480, and any other advice you can give to make things run smoothly and looking after the truck.

Thank you in advance

change the air dryer cartridge every 6 months

if the DAF is the auto, there is a small air tank between the diesel tank and the lift axle, it has a solid plug in the bottom hole, swap it for a drain plug, and drain it VERY REGULARLY, if water gets in the clutch actuator, it will be very costly to replcace

check on the engine for signs of water leaking from the head gaskets
grease the cab mounts regular, alternatively, you can purchase from DAF a self greasing system that fits on to the side of the cab mounts and then simply replace the cartridge when it is empty

Thank you shuttlespanker for the advice, Just to let you know it is a Manual Gearbox.

with the manual gearbox, if you find it struggles changing from low to high or vice versa, it will be an air valve on the left hand side of the transmission

Sorry to hi jack the thread, but it is relevant.

I hear the dads have head problems? And a lot you do see for sale have been recently rebuilt. Some at as low as 3-400k.

My question is are they a solid choice? And what causes the head problems?

We will be looking for something to move cabins and some plant so will probably be looking for something around the 500hp range.

Pansie Division:
Sorry to hi jack the thread, but it is relevant.

I hear the dads have head problems? And a lot you do see for sale have been recently rebuilt. Some at as low as 3-400k.

My question is are they a solid choice? And what causes the head problems?

We will be looking for something to move cabins and some plant so will probably be looking for something around the 500hp range.

that would be on the MX engine if it is the head itself, and it is the later XF105 series with the MX engine

if you are referring to the head gaskets, that is the earlier engine in the XF95, but, once the head gaskets have been done, that is it, not heard of any issues with the actual head on the XF95, although, a small crack appears on the rear of the head where one of the bolt holes is situated, but, that is not a problem, no need to change the head for that

I had 2 x 2005 530 models, both had huge cracks from where the head meets the block on the back of the engine and both were clearly visible form just looking from the back once the cab was tited. Rang DAF dealer & they said
“No problem, it’s a common fault. Bring it in & we’ll change the heads free of charge” !!!

They turned each truck around in 24 hrs, and one was a dutch import too.
Bought 2 more from them on the strength of that service alone ! First Class. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reference the cylinder head situation …i would imagine most of the engines would have been done by now …But a quick check is too look at where the head joins the block ,you should be able to tell if it has the latest multi layered head gasket ,if not sure ask .Can’t guarantee you will get an honest answer…Obviously as you have heard there is a lot of stories about heads on the XE/XF engine…Xe /XF is the model of engine,you will see it stamped on the engine id plate ,the fuel system is UPEC…So to dispel some myths …

1…Ref the cracks on the heads at the rear beside the exhaust port.i can’t remember the figure but if it was belowsay 20mm it was deemed acceptable…Daf did a tweek to the casting that thickened the head where it cracked .Problem resolved .Their is a number on the casting that dictates it’s the tweeked head ,again i’m sorry i can’t remember it

2…Water/ oil leakage at the head gasket was resolved by fitting a metal multi layered head gasket,New head bolts must be fitted …May even come with head gasket kit…The only issue ever encountered with head bolts was when DAF had dealers recoat them …They never got an even coat and,with customers screaming for their vehicle and phoning DAF complaining about the service ,the coating would never get the 12 hours required for the sealant to cure before fitting them

3… Head bolt torque settings where changed for a greater clamping force

As an engine it is a pretty good unit as long as it is looked after properly …The only thing that is disappointing is the UPEC…Not the easiest system to diagnois ,and that is even for the dealers …But it is reliable ,it’s just when it plays up it can be at times a nightmare

The zf 16 speed gearbox is a good box only issue with them is 3rd /4th gear synchros,there a bit chocolate /soft…I have lost the count of the amount of synchros on 3rd /4th i have done on fleet vehicles…But i have only done a handful on owner driver vehicles ,so that tells a story in itself

Last but not least wiring …now i have said it i can hear others typing …looms are a problem …main problems are where they flex where the cab tilts ,look for botched repairs and layers of black tape…

The XF is a good truck ,all manufacturers have issues ,other manufacturers use the ZF gearbox …But to be honest if the wiring is good you won’t go wrong…If it has multiple repairs and exta wiring bypassing the original stay clear …Tacho wiring excluded .i personally reire it from the bulkhead to the tacho sender with rubberised 4 core ,it flexible ,and better quality than OE and never fails ,so far fingers crossed

Hope that is of some assistance to yourself

norb:
Reference the cylinder head situation …i would imagine most of the engines would have been done by now …But a quick check is too look at where the head joins the block ,you should be able to tell if it has the latest multi layered head gasket ,if not sure ask .Can’t guarantee you will get an honest answer…Obviously as you have heard there is a lot of stories about heads on the XE/XF engine…Xe /XF is the model of engine,you will see it stamped on the engine id plate ,the fuel system is UPEC…So to dispel some myths …

1…Ref the cracks on the heads at the rear beside the exhaust port.i can’t remember the figure but if it was belowsay 20mm it was deemed acceptable…Daf did a tweek to the casting that thickened the head where it cracked .Problem resolved .Their is a number on the casting that dictates it’s the tweeked head ,again i’m sorry i can’t remember it

2…Water/ oil leakage at the head gasket was resolved by fitting a metal multi layered head gasket,New head bolts must be fitted …May even come with head gasket kit…The only issue ever encountered with head bolts was when DAF had dealers recoat them …They never got an even coat and,with customers screaming for their vehicle and phoning DAF complaining about the service ,the coating would never get the 12 hours required for the sealant to cure before fitting them

3… Head bolt torque settings where changed for a greater clamping force

As an engine it is a pretty good unit as long as it is looked after properly …The only thing that is disappointing is the UPEC…Not the easiest system to diagnois ,and that is even for the dealers …But it is reliable ,it’s just when it plays up it can be at times a nightmare

The zf 16 speed gearbox is a good box only issue with them is 3rd /4th gear synchros,there a bit chocolate /soft…I have lost the count of the amount of synchros on 3rd /4th i have done on fleet vehicles…But i have only done a handful on owner driver vehicles ,so that tells a story in itself

Last but not least wiring …now i have said it i can hear others typing …looms are a problem …main problems are where they flex where the cab tilts ,look for botched repairs and layers of black tape…

The XF is a good truck ,all manufacturers have issues ,other manufacturers use the ZF gearbox …But to be honest if the wiring is good you won’t go wrong…If it has multiple repairs and exta wiring bypassing the original stay clear …Tacho wiring excluded .i personally reire it from the bulkhead to the tacho sender with rubberised 4 core ,it flexible ,and better quality than OE and never fails ,so far fingers crossed

Hope that is of some assistance to yourself

i was told 1" by DAF

very true

only synchros i had trouble with have been 1st and 3rd, the forward part of the box, never the backwards part

the only ones i have had wiring issues with have been 2005 models

Ref the looms you will see DAF have changed the outer sheathing a few times alas to no effect the last being a ribbed look which will peel apart then zip back together,which personally i liked no stanley involved though there is people who didn’t know and still stanley knifed it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Luckily you can buy the ■■■■■■ and effect a simple ,professional repair…Though DAF in their wisdom have now come out with a new ■■■■■■ which is meant to be better ,but i don’t think it is as user friendly,time will tell…Though to give DAF their due they are pro active with wiring issues .Personally i’d love to meet and throttle the guys that put the cable ties on …

This forum really is a wealth of information.

Silver_Surfer:
This forum really is a wealth of information.

providing of course, the right people read the thread and reply :wink:

the truck your looking at is at fearnwood commercials in rainham the truck was part exchanged with hanbury riverside for a later model. william changed quite a few at the same time so the truck wasnt sold cos its knackered just a fleet upgrade thats always a good sign williams run a tight ship so i doubt if there is anything wrong with the truck maybe some minor issues but no dramas i know the 2 owners of fearn wood very well and as they were both vary good mechanics in a former life they generally know what they are buying id sooner take a chance with them than buy blind and i have brought and sold to them in the past anyway good luck fella you will need it

keith the thief:
the truck your looking at is at fearnwood commercials in rainham the truck was part exchanged with hanbury riverside for a later model. william changed quite a few at the same time so the truck wasnt sold cos its knackered just a fleet upgrade thats always a good sign williams run a tight ship so i doubt if there is anything wrong with the truck maybe some minor issues but no dramas i know the 2 owners of fearn wood very well and as they were both vary good mechanics in a former life they generally know what they are buying id sooner take a chance with them than buy blind and i have brought and sold to them in the past anyway good luck fella you will need it

Thank you keith, As you know it is always a risk buying a used truck, I bought the truck from fearnwood commercials in rainham, the two owners seem decent guys, they done a full service before it was shipped, I will see how things goes I might be back there for another one.
Thank you everyone for all the advice.