Cyclist Killed

AHT:

Carryfast:
I think it’s that idea of unrealistic commuting journeys by bicycle which could explain a lot of the problem.It seems obvious that there’s no way that anyone could cover that type of distance in a reasonable time using pavements obviously in which the need to provide adequate consideration to pedestrians applies.It also seems obvious that such distances would require that issue of every journey being seen as a Tour De France time trial.Unlike the few miles each way of my daily commute to school back in the day.

That’s of course before I was old enough to to get a driving licence and afford to buy and run a car to use for my 15-20 mile each way commute to work before which I used the bus for a year between leaving school and getting my licence.Cycling over that type of distance was never going to be a safe or practical option in my view.

The problem is that idea doesn’t fit the new pc script of reducing living standards and the raving cyclist lobby.Although having said that anyone who is mad enough to be doing a commute by bicycle,in which a road like the example of the A3,forms most of the route,then their life expectancy would be a lot more if they use the hard shoulder instead of riding a bicycle in lane 1 of a motor way class road. :unamused:

I have a car, I have a licence and i have enough mony to run it however i prefer to commute to work/collage/what ever im doing on the day in question providing its not foul weather and i have the time, around 30 miles is no problem, its just so much more enjoyable. and i prefer to spend the £10/15 a day on sompthing other then fuel. I know plenty of others who do a simlar thing.
If i had to ride down the A3 whitch is in no way a motorway it is a dule carrageway, motorways come under a compleatly diffrent set of regulations and do not allow cyclists, then i personally would ride as far left as is practical looking at the picture however there would be people on here spouting about cyclists riding illigally on the hard shoulder no doubt.
Just because you happend to see one cyclist doing otherwise is not a reflection on every other cyclist, I do not go out to get into any sort of danger i go for enjoyment or to get from A to B I always try to avoid dule carrageways hoever in certan circumstances it isnt practical to such as the A59 naer blackburn from the M6.

I don’t think it’ a question of ‘enjoyable’ or not.The fact is if it’s a cycling journey that can’t be undertaken by use of mostly pavements then the risks outweigh any possible ‘enjoyment’ or money saving.As for the sections of the A3 which I’m referring to they are effectively motorway class in all else but regulation and I don’t think anyone with any sense would class cycling on the hard shoulder,rather than in lane 1,of that road as ‘illegal’.If anything the law should see it as vice versa which is illegal just based on the laws concerning obstruction of the highway available to them.In that case it would certainly sooner or later save someone’s life.