Austin Morris BMC

In July 1964 , this Austin FHK 140 , reg. no. MJM 54 , replaced the earlier FFK 140.
With the 5.7 litre engine underfloor , there was much more interior cab space , plus there was warm air on the passenger side of the cab. :smiley: I spent nearly all of my school holidays travelling to farms and livestock markets with my dad, so this cab holds special memories to me.
I first drove MJM when I was 12 years old , - and it was a couple of years later before I drove a car for the first time.
I thought cars were too small , and I hadn`t the same interest.

MJM was fitted with a 5 speed gearbox , and single-speed rear axle. The platform and livestock body were transfered from HEC , with no alterations needed as the chassis and cab`s measurements were identical.

MJM gave reasonable service , although the first engine blew-up only a couple of days AFTER the warranty expired !! :cry:
The replacement engine lasted similar time before major repairs were needed. The wagon lasted until July 1971 , when it was retired , replaced by a new Leyland Boxer , - with the 5.7 litre engine reverted to its original upright design build .

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

P,S. The photograph was taken outside Kendal Aucxtion Mart , in January 1968.
For fellow-■■■■■■■■■ , the Commer shown in the background belonged to Stan Stewardson of Hawkshead.
Incidently , Stan owned both a FHK and a FJK , I think they were both 8 tonners.