Ackworth / Onward Transport

There’s some great stories on here about, what I think was one of Yorkshires most respected hauliers (does anyone remember that Onward motor in the tv series starring Dennis Waterman where he was supposed to be picked up as a hitch hiker by, ahem an over friendly hgv driver?) Some very interesting quotes have been made here as regards the take over of the business by the BOC group. At the time, I was employed by GL Baker (well, BOC Baker as they became) and the company that was created from this aquisition (Interbrand) went on (in my opinion anyway) to do further damage within the BOC group. The arm of the company that I was employed in saw a number of prosperous and quite lucrative customers syphoned from it to prop up the loss making element and, needless to say after a couple or three years, the Baker side of the operation started to become unprofitable - but not before one or two of (only a personal opinion mind) failed I’brand managers had secured themselves decent positions elsewhere within the group (apparently, some remain today) It would seem to me that they didn’t just perhaps, end your business but maybe played a part in the demise of their own. At least we have some good memories, and pics (keep em coming please!)