Middle-East Run Trucks Cemetery

Someone somewhere have their dates mixed up, regarding the Zenobia. My first trip on the Zenobia from Volos in Greece to Tartous in Syria was in the second or third week in january 1980. I came back on it in February 1980, when it was diverted to Koper in Yugoslavia. We were informed whilst on route that the ship would be sailing from Koper to tartous with a stop in Greece on each return trip. I and some others had to get off in Patras on the way back as I had to pick up a load of tyres at Pirot in Yugo. The story goes that in one of its early trips it had called in at a greek port on route to syria and was advised not to leave due to a severe storm in the Med. The captain had told the greek’s that he had all the latest satelite and computerised equipment on board and set sail against their wishes. In the ensuing storm quite a few of the trucks on board slid sideways into one another and the ship developed a list. The ship docked in Volos and spent quite a few day’s there whilst they offloaded and reloaded the cargo.The story at the time was that port authorities were having problems getting payed and the shipping line was no longer welcome in Greece. whereby the route was changed to Koper/ Tartous Return and no stop in greece. I was also on the Zenobia on a few other occasions that year before she sunk. One of the drivers who was on board on its final voyage was Robert Hobbs who had a brand new scania 111 on its first trip I think that he was driving for Hicks of South wales at the time. Regards Jamie.