Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

Evening all, You know the Belgians, and the French loved them, those little TKs. Mid 70s, Dunstable was turning out circ 30000 chassis per year, about 10000 were going for export.
Tough little lorries, there was a rule that the profit in a"sticky deal", always ended up in a worn out TK of some sort! But you could always find a customer, (and a bit of profit)! I well remember having a batch of ex Dobson of Edinburgh KM units through my hands, worn was a mild description, the steering was a little like the Cutty Sark, around Cape Horn, and gear selection, a voyage of total mystery…with an unknown destination! But they sold, and everyone seemed happy with them.
Personally, I always thought that the TM tractor, (in ■■■■■■■ guise), was potentially a better vehicle than the Ford Transcontinental, but that potential was not ever fully realised. The final “developed” versions should have been where Bedford should have launched the range, not the end of it! Had it have been so, then I think the vehicle would have gained a real market presence. Why it did not, probably a lot to do with Dealer back up, coupled with a totally unsuited engine, for the UK market in the Detroit, plus the inevitable doubtful build quality. Why did this problem affect the “major” manufacturers so much? Bad management??
Yes, he relatively “small operator” driven market was good for GM, but as soon as fuel price climbed, those 400CVs became unmarketable part exchanges, in the Scania, and Volvo Dealers yards.
Would the TM have survived, had the synergy that was between Bedford and Leyland been allowed to develop, as both parties wished, and not foundered on the stupid gingoistic strains of keep Land Rover in “British” ownership. Coupled with an inept and disinterested Government, who simply could not see that a GM ownership of Leyland may have resulted in a better deal for the UK taxpayer, (and perhaps long term in the retention , even to today, of major truck manufacture in the UK…or perhaps not!!
Interesting to muse over is it not, I shall away to the Bollinger, to aid my musing, and raise a glass to those admirable machines from Bedford. Cheerio for now.