Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

[zb]
anorak:

Bewick:

[zb]
anorak:

newmercman:
I also had a drive in an Italian spec 4400, that was impressive, I can still hear the howling engine now, had a light load of groupage on, so it didn’t have to do any real work, but it was very fast all the same, until then the biggest thing I’d driven was a 2800 Daf, so 400hp was going to leave an impression :sunglasses:

I did try to buy a TM with an E290 ■■■■■■■■ it had a recent reman engine in it, but the bloke wanted a fortune for it, so never did that deal, I quite liked the look of them and as [zb] says, with a ■■■■■■■■ Fuller, Rockwell driveline and a decent size cab, there wasn’t anything bad about them :wink:

Maybe the sales back-up was considered to be inferior to that of ERF, SA et al, considering the perception of Bedford was as a supplier of vans and smaller lorries. Bewick might be able to expand on this, when he resurfaces.

I’ve just crawled out of the Black Lagoon,ooh! it’s bloody " taters" in that cave with only “H” and “Nosser” for company !! As far as I could re-call Anorak, by the time Bedford got their act to-gether with the,no doubt,fairly decent driveline you describe, it was too late but those TM’s weren’t such a good advert for a,shall we say, premium haulier.Well OK if you had a contract with GM hauling their spares( like SOM !) But otherwise the TM wasn’t up to the job when compared to Scanias and Volvos as well as the Sed/Atks and ERF’s.I’d tried a few demos from Sed/Atk and ERF trying to get me enthused about the E290,to no avail so I sure wasn’t going to give Bedfords a kick of the ball !!! Cheers Bewick.

Thank you Mr. Bewick. I’m surprised you did not take to the E290- it seemed to be the engine of the moment, in the late 1970s.

Aye,with a fuel tanker following it !!!You were lucky to get 6 mpg working them hard,same as all of our motors were worked ! Cheers Bewick.