Austin and Morris FFk

Having just noticed this thread for the first time , may I throw some light to the various numerical models of
the FF , and later FH ranges bearing the cab-front badges of B.M.C., and Austin/Morris.

The FF range , with the curved edges of the windscreen replaced the FE range which had a two-piece windscreen.
I think the FF was introduced in late 1958, or early 1959, and first bore the pressed-metal B.M.C. , then later the similarly-pressed Austin or Morris cab badge. The larger , plastic Austin (red background ) and the Morris , (yellow background ) were fitted from early 1960 onwards. The FFK 100 was the 5 ton capacity model ( 100meaning 100 hundredweights = 5 tons ) The FFK 140 was the 7 ton capacity model (140` meaning 140 hundredweights = 7 tons ).

The B.M.C. 5.1 litre diesel engine was the power motive. Later , the 5.7 engine was made available as an option.

In the Spring of 1963 , the FH model was introduced. This was the same 5.1 engine , butinclined, and thus allowing an
almost-flat cab floor , and a double passenger seat. There was also the slightly larger 5.7 litre engine available, again inclined.

The models were designated as the FF range , but with the new additional FHK 160 , of 8 ton capacity .
The standard engine for the FHK 100 was the 5.1 engine , with the optional 5.7 available if requested.
The FHK 140 and FHK 160 both had the larger 5.7 as standard. In addition , the FHK 160 was equipped with air brakes ,
the other two had vaccuum-powered braking system.

Both the FF and FH ranges were sold simultaneously , and the 5.7 engine was also later fitted in the FF range.

It was at the Commercial Motor Show in 1964 , that the FJ range was introduced , and this was to be the successor to
the ill-fated FH range , which ceased production in 1966. The FF continued to be made until 1968.

How do I know this much ■■
My father bought a new FFK 140 in September 1960 to replace a 1959 ■■■ 100.
In June 1964 , the FFK 140 was sold , and replaced by a new FHK 140.

I hope this explanation is of use.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.