Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

gingerfold:
One of my personal favourite photos, tin-front AEC Mammoth Major Mk.III of CWS 15 tons of sacks, in the City of London outside the Bank of England.

I’ve been following this splendid thread ever since it began…all those glorious historic AEC,Atkinson,Foden, and Leyland heavy lorries :smiley: ,interspersed with the history of the flour milling industry,advertisements,photographs of mills and of other vehicles - I’ve been past that Rank-Hovis Mill at Selby many a time en route to the the wonderful North East Coast tourist and holiday area :smiley:
There are a few points that I want to make.
If the accompanying photograph with this original post by Gingerfold is reproduced,it is an ideal opportunity to compare this magnificent AEC with the seemingly identical AEC in Gingerfold’s latest photographic post. But there are subtle and not so subtle differances between these two Tin Front Mk IIIs.
The CWS Federation Bulk Tanker,is a AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front Mk III,VNB 995,November 1957
Manchester-registered,which has the standard Park Royal Tin Front Mk III Phase 1 Cab and is much
squarer and less rounded than the later Phase 2 Cab.
The CWS Flat-bodied rigid Eight-Wheeler Lorry in London,is a magnificent AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front Mk III,5148 N,late 1959 Manchester-registered,which has the standard Park Royal Tin Front Mk III
Phase 2 Cab,which is more curved,more streamlined and a hell of a lot better looking than the earlier
Phase 1 .In fact,the Phase 2 Cab was the most popular and best looking of all the cabs that were fitted to
AEC Tin Front Mk III Lorries - the Be-Ro AEC Mandator Tin Front Mk III 4x2 Boxvan Lorry,359 EBB,
June 1958 Newcastle upon Tyne-registered,also on page 3,also has a standard Phase 2 Cab :slight_smile:

NOTE:Since the photograph of AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front Mk III,with the Phase 2 Cab,5148 N,did not reproduce for this post (is there a fault with this Website’s computer? :angry: ),here is a link which
shows preserved AEC Mammoth Major Six Tin Front Front Mk III ,778 MNU,1959 Derbyshire-registered,which also has a Park Royal Tin Front Mk III Phase 2 Cab - which is the DEFINITIVE AEC Tin Front Mk III lorry range cab :smiley: :-
flickr.com/photos/16693939@N07/6296208672/

Ah yes! :slight_smile: I was hoping Gingerfold,or somebody,would post a photograph of at least one of the XAN-registered Foden S21 Spaceship FG6LX/24 Lorries of Rank Hovis McDougall - RHM. Some of the XAN Foden S21 Spaceships did further commercial service as Fairground Vehicles,including :-
XAN 285,operated by Sheldon Dowse,Doncaster:-
flickr.com/photos/foden_djp/ … otostream/
Note it’s original RHM Flat body below the Luton Van body.

XAN 291,operated by the late Terence Dowse,Doncaster:-
flickr.com/photos/foden_djp/ … otostream/

Terence was in the process of restoring his Foden S21 Spaceship in recent years,but very sadly,he passed on,on Wednesday,31st August,2011,a year since now at present. But I hope to find out what is happening to this Foden S21 Spaceship,XAN 291.

VALKYRIE.