Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

rigsby:
i’m enjoying this thread no end john , it brings the memories flooding back . i worked for f.r. somerset from 93 to 2000 largely on rank’s work . when they decided to have each mill producing certain products it was great for us as we got the job of taking loads from mill to mill . we loved it because we got a loaded mileage bonus and we were always loaded on ranks work . we have probably met in passing , i overnighted at canklow and did collections and deliveries to trafford park . you tanker men were a far superior breed to us lowly taut liner riff raff in those days , lol , so you wouldn’t have noticed . cheers dave

Hiya Dave not sure about us being superior to you guys ! I would have seen you out and about no doubt, but my problem was i didn’t get to Rotherham that often due to being asked by Ranks if i would look after the delivery to Warburtons in Bolton as the guy (Eddie Simpson ) who did the job regular decided to finish . So i agreed to look after the job for three weeks over the christmas period in 1993 this was due to the fact that Warbies wanted a regular driver to do the job, so like i said i agreed to do it for three weeks and i did it ,3 loads a day and 2 on saturday morning for 15 years !!!, I even went on there works do every year.We finally finished supplying Warburtons with flour in 2008, unsure of the reason i think it was a political decision after we had been taken over by Premier Foods. I have fallen in to the same trap again i now seem to spend all week running to Grimsby, To countrystyle foods on wickham road on the docks, Dont know if you ever went there yourself but if you did i’m sure you would have met Joy the lovely store’s woman, .Do you remember big Arthur Morton from Rotherham ? He is still going strong and working out of Bawtry
Regards John