Gist, bellshill

Explain this, fte drivers get paid £511 gross per week regardless if they work max hours,yet agency drivers can earn £750 for same work.seems like fte are getting raw deal,or maybe it’s me.whats your thoughts,union unite seem as much use as a motorbike ashtray.

Looks ok to me

houndcat:
Explain this, fte drivers get paid £511 gross per week regardless if they work max hours,yet agency drivers can earn £750 for same work.seems like fte are getting raw deal,or maybe it’s me.whats your thoughts,union unite seem as much use as a motorbike ashtray.

In a quiet spell the ft drivers get £511, precisely how much do the agency staff get when a shift is cancelled or during the quiet times? That is why they get paid more when they are working, together with the fact that they only get their wage, whilst I wouldn’t mind betting that the ft staff at Gist have a company pension plan of some sort and possibly other benefits as well. If you look at what the agency staffs P60 says, and the Gist employees P60 I bet I can guess which one is better off overall.

a forkie carries one pallet, a driver carries 26, he should be paid 26 times that of the forkie :smiley:
more responsibility see :smiley:

acd1202:

houndcat:

In a quiet spell the ft drivers get £511, precisely how much do the agency staff get when a shift is cancelled or during the quiet times? That is why they get paid more when they are working, together with the fact that they only get their wage, whilst I wouldn’t mind betting that the ft staff at Gist have a company pension plan of some sort and possibly other benefits as well. If you look at what the agency staffs P60 says, and the Gist employees P60 I bet I can guess which one is better off overall.

Sorry mate, Gist Bellshil seem to act as a one man band in the Gist (BOC) Portfolio.
It says on their contract Hourly Paid, yet defines no hours, no rate per hour and no limit to the amount of hours that you can work, oh apart from the inclusion of The WTD and The Tacho rule’s etc, etc.
It does not state it is a salary for X hours per week/month/year.
You can work an extra day for X amount, try getting it; the extra day/pay, your choice.
The FT drivers are treated like agency drivers only getting a full time wage, which is the only difference, shift changes ( last minute) not knowing what your doing till your minimum time off in the next lay-by if your lucky, and night turns into day turns into night, then you have your 45 off then it starts all over again…
The rate you say is not everyone’s rate but for the overnight drivers and not the dayshift who are, let’s say undervalued and are the only one’s who are able to move the union negotiations forward, as the powers that be in bellshill use the old divide and conquer rule.

There is No Company pension plan nor sickness pay, only ssp which of course the government pay.

Then again if the driver’s used the WTD properly they wouldn’t work so many hours.

The planners are …usual ■■■■■ lol.

The agency drivers make sure the get their three 15’s and three 13’s and their overnight’s, does them for the lean time’s.

acd1202:

houndcat:

Sorry meant to say, lost your bet mate.

As we are all mostly self employed nowadays we don’t have a P60 and the PAYE ■■■■■ is ■■■■■■■■.
And considering a lot of peeps have went Ltd Company, don’t have to file accounts till…

Have my P60 from said company/site make’s great consistent viewing.

I do know which one is better off overall, clue: ( That’s why I don’t work there anymore).

A true salary is never for a set number of hours, it is to do the job, whatever it requires, within legal limits obviously. A set weekly pay, for an agreed number of hours averaged over a period, is not a salary, but averaged hourly pay.

Your comment about what the agency drivers make in the good times, covering the bad is precisely the point I was making. In a way the salary comes to the same thing.
If planners are letting agency drivers work maximum hours on hourly pay, whilst salaried staff are not, then senior management should be looking at that. It is obviously cheaper for the company to have the guy on the salary doing 15 hours, and the hourly paid man going home after 9; not what the company drivers want to hear, but a fact all the same.

acd1202:
A true salary is never for a set number of hours, it is to do the job, whatever it requires, within legal limits obviously. A set weekly pay, for an agreed number of hours averaged over a period, is not a salary, but averaged hourly pay.

Your comment about what the agency drivers make in the good times, covering the bad is precisely the point I was making. In a way the salary comes to the same thing.
If planners are letting agency drivers work maximum hours on hourly pay, whilst salaried staff are not, then senior management should be looking at that. It is obviously cheaper for the company to have the guy on the salary doing 15 hours, and the hourly paid man going home after 9; not what the company drivers want to hear, but a fact all the same.

My wife is a manager with next retail and earns a salary and is hourly paid, work that out Einstein, (true or not and if not true is it lying), and a set weekly pay for an agreed number of hours has an hourly rate by definition, and entitled to that rate on the hours worked or more, in particular if it’s in your contract, of which I have one.

You did say that you knew which drivers were better off, ie benefits pay etc, did you not ?

It is not a Salary they have, end of.

A salary is not for a set number of hours, it is to do the job. The contract will normally have a phrase similar to “or as required” in it following the normal hours to be worked. If you get paid extra for doing more, that is not a salary.

ADc
, retread jazzer,s message slowly and hopefully you’ll get the gist of the matter.

acd1202:
A salary is not for a set number of hours, it is to do the job. The contract will normally have a phrase similar to “or as required” in it following the normal hours to be worked. If you get paid extra for doing more, that is not a salary.

You do realize that HR do most of the contracts nowadays and they have a legal dept draw up all their contracts, most “salaries” have bonuses, overtime etc attached to them, all you need to do is look on the internet,its all there mate.

You did say that the full time drivers would be better off did you not, as an ex agency driver for gist and an ex full time driver for gist, I’ll give you a guess what I do now, and it was to better myself.
Agency driver who is better off, socially, healthily and financially.
■■■■ gist bellshill, good job wasted.

Jazzer, it hasn’t changed since you left,the agency drivers who became gist drivers are leaving and coming back via the agency,hey good luck why not get paid £250 a week more for doing the same job you were doing as a gist driver. So still working around 71 hrs a week over 5 shifts starting a silly o clock for £7.19 per hour, and the icing on the cake you get to spend 3 nights in a AXOR so all you need is toothbrush,soap and towel, no room for anything else. Such a shame because I agree with you it good be such a good job.unfortunately the planners are only doing what they are told,makes me wonder how gist with their reputation allow such practice to continue at bellshill. Oh they are still doing their party trick,when you run out of time they send the van to pick you up,only problem is you have to drive the van back,so 10hr drive can become 12,and 15 hr duty become 17hr other than that everything is ok,union unite still take your £12 sub and don’t appear to do much else even through they are aware of the issues.hey ho not point whining time for a change I think.

SwedishSteel:

Looks ok to me

:laughing: