Gardner ENGINES

Yes Dennis, I remember the ‘Chinese Gent’ at Gardner’s very well and had some laughs with him! I had to fit a new crankcase and block to one of our 201’s, it had thrown a rod when it was dropped back in gear after a long decent in Scotch overdrive and had also twisted the crankshaft and cracked the gearbox primary shaft. The camshaft sprocket had also split but we had a good used one in stock. Anyway the new crankcase arrived but the oil return pipe fitting from the pump to timing case was different and needed a new pipe etc. Because I was fitting another cam sprocket Gardner’s very kindly lent me a protractor which you needed to set each cam in turn so that valves didn’t hit pistons etc so while I was at the works I went to see their Technical Officer about the oil pipe set up. His reply was that he knew nothing about such a thing and he reckoned that I should fashion a piece of wood to bung the extra hole up in the crankcase!!! :open_mouth: So I went to see our Chinese friend who practically exploded with fury and said that the hole was the only means of lubricating the timing gears and presented me with a new modified pipe etc, I wonder what Chinese swear words were directed at the Technical Officer after I left. He spent most of his life at the works but every time that I turned up he would moan about “Bloo*y Tilcon, what you do at our nice engines eh, you always blowing them up” but he knew his stuff and got really wound up when I told him that the best place for his nice engines was in his countries JUNKS. :laughing:

Incidently the Sed Ak 400 that I drove ran backwards once, I selected crawler when climbing away loaded from Ashbourne market place but the truck wouldn’t move and the cab was filling with smoke coming from the airfilter! Took me a second or two to realise what had occoured but I stopped and restarted it and no harm was done.

Pete.