first f86

can any one tell me the reg plate of the first f86 in the counrty(uk),i’ve just had a look at a local firm’s website (g cross & sons northwich) and they claim to have had the first one,can any tell me if this is true :question: ,cheers .

GAZ70:
can any one tell me the reg plate of the first f86 in the counrty(uk),i’ve just had a look at a local firm’s website (g cross & sons northwich) and they claim to have had the first one,can any tell me if this is true :question: ,cheers .

This is the one that Volvo say was the first import and sold by Ailsa

volvocoming home2.JPG

Hutchinson volvo.JPG

0g cross f86

J & R Wright based in Glasgow had some E regs too, Regards Larry.

artic monkey,i take it you had a peep at g cross’s website hence the pic,there’s no saying this was there first because they ran a few 86’s as well as 88’s,erf a,b,and c series,pus atkinson’s & fodens,can any one on here tell by the reg plate if this is the first uk f86?.

Hi,
F86’s are a real favourite of mine :sunglasses: .i wouldn’t Know which one was the first uk tractor, though osgerby’s may? be a contender In my opinion.

GAZ70:
artic monkey,i take it you had a peep at g cross’s website hence the pic,there’s no saying this was there first because they ran a few 86’s as well as 88’s,erf a,b,and c series,pus atkinson’s & fodens,can any one on here tell by the reg plate if this is the first uk f86?.

no gaz not had a look at there web site, didnt know they had one. that photo was given to me by peter cross and one or two others, just asked him if he had any old photos when i was loading there one day and he gave me a couple when i went back in the office

ok pal no worries,just as a nosey who were you driving for when you were in there :question:

pete 359:
Hi,
F86’s are a real favourite of mine :sunglasses: .i wouldn’t Know which one was the first uk tractor, though osgerby’s may? be a contender In my opinion.

From what I remember the first trucks came direct from Ailsa Trucks and Osgerbys first truck was at John Hebbs open day.

Key dates:
1966; Ailsa Trucks Ltd formed by Jim Keyden and Jim McKelvie to import Volvo F86 and F88s.
1967; 165 Volvo trucks sold in the UK.

The Hutchinson one is regarded as the first hence its place in the Volvo museam although think it is back in this country now. There have been various articles in different magazines on the very subject so no matter who says what on here I thinks its bomb proof that this was the !st

Im sure you are right , I remember a bloke that drove it for a while, He was called Gypsy Jon,■■, He used to run out of Swinburne Quarry with a Tipper Trailer, then when the tipper work slackened off he picked his flat up & went on to the precast stuff, & he reckoned it was the very first one in the UK. Regards Larry.

well i think that’s that,mr g cross’s f86 wasn’t the number 1,just a early one :wink: ,thanks for all the info,cheer’s gaz.

You have to remember the F84 and F85 were being used in Holland in 1965

Yes, Hutchinson’s of Wark definitely the first F86 in service in the UK. I can recall the advertising in such as Commercial Motor at the time and the claims that were made for its reliability, high mileages etc. It is a very well documented lorry and its provenence is usually undisputed.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Im sure you are right , I remember a bloke that drove it for a while, He was called Gypsy Jon,■■, He used to run out of Swinburne Quarry with a Tipper Trailer, then when the tipper work slackened off he picked his flat up & went on to the precast stuff, & he reckoned it was the very first one in the UK. Regards Larry.

That first F86 that Hutchinsons ran must sure have done a variety of work by the sound of what you say Larry,I recall it running regularly down the A6 through Kendal in 1967 loaded with pulp wood for Bowaters,Ellesmere Port.I can also recall a main Volvo advertisement in the commercial press with a shot of the motor splashing through a ford in the Kielder forrest and claiming that it runs to and from Ellesmere around the clock with timber.Cheers Dennis.

Hello
This is the third F86 to enter the country.
Kindest Regards
CG

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello
Kindest Regards
CG

According to you CG the F86’s must have entered the UK one at a time!! As far as I understand it the first ones came in one big shipment and there was a flurry of E registrations at the flegling Volvo dealers that Ailsa Trucks had appointed in various parts of the UK.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello
Kindest Regards
CG

According to you CG the F86’s must have entered the UK one at a time!! As far as I understand it the first ones came in one big shipment and there was a flurry of E registrations at the flegling Volvo dealers that Ailsa Trucks had appointed in various parts of the UK.Cheers Bewick.

165 vehicles sold in 1967 according to the Volvo Archive. I do remember the first ones were delivered with Ailsa stickers and rear mudflaps so presume they did the PDI and Fifth Wheel work on the tractor units

Wheel Nut:

pete 359:
Hi,

From what I remember the first trucks came direct from Ailsa Trucks and Osgerbys first truck was at John Hebbs open day.

Key dates:
1966; Ailsa Trucks Ltd formed by Jim Keyden and Jim McKelvie to import Volvo F86 and F88s.

Is this 1 a preserved vehicle ,it looks like new and the bridge definitely wasnt up in `67

ramone:

Wheel Nut:

pete 359:
Hi,

Key dates:

Is this 1 a preserved vehicle ,it looks like new and the bridge definitely wasnt up in `67

It looks like Hessle Foreshore so it was probably at a show in Hull or on loan to Crossroads Commercials