MAN fault codes

richmond:
I have two man units, one an 04 the other a2010, bought new, im sick to death of the fault codes,cant wait till i have paid them off and can go back to volvos, took the new one in three times, codes taken off, lasted a day then cameback, each time a 180 bill, i guess they got to make there money some time, very poor truck electrics in my opinion.

The codes indicate a fault, having them cleared will not stop them comming back on if the fault is not rectified.

Common problem with the fan is broken wires often caused be belt failiure.

richmond:
I have two man units, one an 04 the other a2010, bought new, im sick to death of the fault codes,cant wait till i have paid them off and can go back to volvos, took the new one in three times, codes taken off, lasted a day then cameback, each time a 180 bill, i guess they got to make there money some time, very poor truck electrics in my opinion.

+1

Ahh the memories…

Shame really, cracking to drive & use, my favourite manual gear box, cheap enough to buy too but the electrics, fault codes and engine failure rate of the common rails is a big detractor. I had the problem with the ebs, takes them ages of rooting around in the wiring loom to sort also had the problem of gunge in the fuel tank which had to be taken off and cleaned out. They had loads of engines on pallets in Northampton last time I was in there a couple of years a go, asked what the crack was & spanners said they’d all failed…

Hopefully the TGX has come on some since the TGA.

I drive a man TGA 26.430 D20 common rail and have encountered an fault code EDC 03779-10 and it hard starting too much.I have replaced the diesel filter still more the error keeps showing.

Could someone please advise me on what to do.

take it to man they will plug it in think it called a leak off test couple of hours to sort it tops youll have no change out of around £750 ish bring it out of man take it back to your yard maybe if your lucky a few days and hey presto it comes back on and then go to your tool box get the biggest spanner you can and sling it at the dam thing .if your lucky they may get it right first time but as what everyone else says I don’t think so ,you could try changing the fuel filter and pre filter out first but that’s pot luck .I was speaking to a fitter over Liverpool way who looks after a lot of the tga s and he said through experience he ignores the injectors and strips the pump and that’s where he starts the fault finding first and has a lot of success clearing the fault

lee mat:
take it to man they will plug it in think it called a leak off test couple of hours to sort it tops youll have no change out of around £750 ish bring it out of man take it back to your yard maybe if your lucky a few days and hey presto it comes back on and then go to your tool box get the biggest spanner you can and sling it at the dam thing .if your lucky they may get it right first time but as what everyone else says I don’t think so ,you could try changing the fuel filter and pre filter out first but that’s pot luck .I was speaking to a fitter over Liverpool way who looks after a lot of the tga s and he said through experience he ignores the injectors and strips the pump and that’s where he starts the fault finding first and has a lot of success clearing the fault

i had this code last year, i was charged £120 for the leak test (2 hrs labour as no parts are involved)
they identified 2 injectors that werent performing right and changed them, had no problems since with the fuel side of things

how much did you pay for the injectors out of interest

i was first qouted £750 each but after telling them i was going to get it done at a rival non franchise dealer the price miraculously dropped down to £312 each and 2 hrs labour to fit them both

got the same fault on mine again happening more frequently now 3779 am sure if I send it in they will do the leak test and it will be diagnosed as injector but am I right in saying if its the injector it will be on all the time example you kick it up in the morning it idles roughly for a few seconds then warning will come on turn engine off then back on again it clears it could stay off then all day or may take a number of miles to come back on again off /on away it goes could be doing 56 mph or could be ticking over for warning to come on ive cleaned the pre filter nothing much in it worth worrying about .I put it in man couple of months ago came out ok but after a week same fault what would you do ?is it worth getting injector cleaner into the system maybe into the pre filter or fuel filter

try running some stannadyne through it, i,ve done all of ours with it and they have had no faults so far,
stanadyne.com/view.php?id=45

the problem i had early last year with the code your getting only happened on overun, ie coming up to a roundabout or cresting hill, it would then hesistate for a second and pick back up, i stuck with it for about 4 months but it just got worse so i bit the bullet and got the leak test done and eventually changed 2 injectors which cured it completely

but if an injector fails wouldn’t it be a constant fault the reason I don’t want to just get an injector changed again is a good mechanic who looks after a few tgas says I will end up changing one then another then another … he says its the pump clear the lines change the filter take the pump off and clean it out I don’t no what to do with it I wont be buying an injector from man no matter what they say that’s for sure out of interest did you keep your old injectors

Had these codes on mine for last 3 years now, every now and again when it nears a service it gets worse and the ‘‘reduced power’’ is on all the time. After service it’s fine although the codes still appear on tickover and braking. Not sure if it’s time to fix now though as it’s just started to be a pig to start in the morning, not sure if it’s injectors/pump or glow plugs?

I didnt keep the old ones, the leak off test should be able to show wether its the pump or the injector though, my old fella thought he needed an injector for his as he was getting the same symptons as me, when they plugged his in they said all the injectors where fine and it was the pump at fault so there must be a way to tell the difference

is there a filter inside of the tank at the bottom of the pipes

i dont think so

Mine had similar code/derating after breaking down many times ,turned out to be air vent bloked on the tank!

Hi, mine comes up with 3779-10 every morning for about 5-10 seconds even though it starts ok every day when I start it up, it will usually run fine all day unless I have a load of 20+ tonne on then I get the code 3778-10 on usually on the crest of a hill or slowing down on slip roads or roundabouts. I’ve done all the filters 2-3 times it usually worked but but on the last time it made no difference at all. I’m thinking maybe injector probs now but MAN want it to be downloaded on there comp for at least 4 hours at £80 an hr before they will even attempt to guess the problem. Does anyone have any solutions??

Also I have downloaded a list of all the MAN codes off the net, if u need a code explaining please feel free to ask, as I’m not sure how to upload the link. Thx.

Mine TGA, 440, EURO 4, got the same problem, same faulty codes, 3779 ,changed 2 injectors without any improvements,the truck behave the same with the same faults and same loss of power on a hills. I’ve changed the fuel pump, the high pressure one (apparently the pump he needs to produce 1500 and mine,on a full power ,loaded,he only got up to 1180-1200),and he cured the problems. Goes like a wind,now. I put a recon one, at a cost of £1200 plus labour. It’s all good now!!

I’ve got a PDF file on my phone called SPD or something that has all the codes. It’s about 700kb, so quite a size… Sure I got it online somewhere, for free.

If you PM me an email address, I’ll send it to you. I can’t find the original link as I’m out roaming in the sticks with low signal borrowing the landlords wifi from a field away :astonished:

badger328:
3778-10 on usually on the crest of a hill or slowing down on slip roads or roundabouts. Does anyone have any solutions??

definately an injector, its something to do with fuel return and the rail not holding pressure when the engines not under load, ie lifting off for a roundabout or cresting a hill, there having your eyes out with 4 hrs to diagnose it, they did a leak off test on mine in just over an hour and charged me £90 1.5hrs @ £60 p/hr, identified No2 and 4 needed changing on mine, once it was done the problem was cured instantly