Hudsons of Pudsey and Hudson Shepherd Transport

Spardo:

maverickfoxx:
.They have the old FB Atkins yard at the side of the A38

:

What happened to them then?
I remember all the old Atkis and the cropper they came buying in a load of 3 axle units thinking the weights were going up, and then having to wait years.

Took a test there once in an old ergo AEC. Nothing came of it though.

Salut, David.

The Findern site has been razed to the ground, and a new “NYK Logistics & Megacarrier” facility built on the site for Toyota business.

NYK did run Atkins on container haulage for a while from Eling Wharf in Totton and maybe Findern as well. I think it was early 2001 when they closed it. They were still running some of the old close-coupled tri-axle PSK (French-spec bogies) at the time. Not sure whether these may even have started life as tilts on Atkins International. Some of them even lived on for a while running out of Southampton under the New Wave Logistics banner.

Yes, they had quite a few 6x2 Atkis (like mine!), but I’m not sure that they were specced for higher weights or just to prevent drive axle overloads on front-heavy containers. Mine started life with Northern Ireland Trailers at Preston Dock, but was only spec’d as a 32T motor. Under the legislation at the time, you effectively needed 5 axles for 32T with a 40’ trailer, and you certainly did if you ran, say, 30/33’ trailers, as a container operator of the time might have done