Berliet

Evening all, you know driving a John Deere up and down fields does allow the grey cells to indulge in a little “mexican overdrive”, that is freewheel back nearly four decades. So here goes, if its boring I apologise. At Venissieux we had a test garage, responsible for the preperation of vehicles that were to be evalulated by journalists, domestic French, or foreign. There was a small team of technicians within the garage, overall responsibility being Msr Danton. Many times if passing the open doors one would see Le Patron, Paul Berliet, resplendent in a blue smock, fussing over some detail or another. He had a real passion for the product, and the creative team of engineers, designers, testers and everyone however humble connected with the product. Unlike so many “executives” he had an all encompassing hands on approach, whether leading a sales delegation to the eastern block, “loving along” some senior firebrand from the CGT union, or dealing smoothly with officials in Government circles. He personally took great risks in endeavouring to smooth the amalgamation of Saviem and Berliet, both on the shop floor, in the field, with two networks that up to 1975 were fierce competitors, and in the hurly burly of a depressed domestic market suffering great overcapacity. And he has a great persona, easily mixing at all levels, and of course he can drive, and very well, his teams creations. I first met him at a ride and drive that we had organised at Maine Poids Lourd, in Laval,a former Berliet only dealer. Iwas just about to go out with an operator who had complained bitterly, that his new TR280 (12litre 06.35.40. 266hp) was heavier on fuel than his existing “Relax” Berliets. These were pre Maxi Couple design, and would be driven on the revs. Just as I was about to pull away, fully freighted with test weights, I was told to wait for another passenger. The door opened, and in climbed Le Patron! Oh boy, in at the deep end now! Away we went. It was a well thought out test route, allowing the “lugging capabilities” of the Maxi Couple to be well shown, and the fitted fuel monitor well illustrated the economy available. On return, the client, and Msr Paul, dismounted, and walked away in the general direction of the hospitality marquee, and I carried on with my job. The following week I was summoned to Le Patrons office suite. I was received, (with my immediate boss) most cordially, and discussed the market, and different competitors offerings, and strategys. We even discussed the UK, and its producers, Le Patron had a liking for the engineering and products of AEC and Guy! and I was complemented upon my driving of the product. I felt pretty good! In 1978 the 1000th TR305 was handed over to Msr Aubert of Transports du group Besnier, a 310 unit fleet, mainly contracted to the (fine) cheese maker Le President. Guess who had been my passenger with Le Patron, on that test run back in Laval. {ZB], yes it was a brilliant cab design, but on the photo shown it was over possibly the worst engine Berliet ever created, the little V8 300! The best thing about that model, was the model created by Pistora, some fitted with a radio, of that lorry. I still have mine sitting on my desk in the farm office, it was given to me by Paul Berliet, and is priceless. Cheerio for now.