Berliet

An interesting thread and not least for the enthusiasm of Saviem for the marque.

I have a great affection for what became the Turboliner cab being one of the first I drove when I came here to work in '99.

The boss still had 3 or 4 left defending against the ever encroaching Magnums.

Turning Saviem’s keenness around I spent the evening in the company of 5 French drivers at a routiers near Cahors last Tuesday and one of them commanded the floor with a fluent exposition of his knowledge of all things English, especially Fodens, ERFs and Leylands. I was surprised at the depth of his knowledge, and the interest of the others, but then remembered that quite a lot of Marathons were sold in France back in their day. They were equally fascinated to hear my telling of the history behind them, particularly the Foden split over steam and the fraternal personalities involved.

The previous night I passed in long discussion of a similar nature in Quimperlé. Stimulating stuff. :smiley:
Two nights later, back in Quimperlé, a silent meal with a miserable git only interested in the telly. :smiling_imp:
Oh well, 2 out of 3 isn’t bad I suppose. And I did get to bed early :unamused: