Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Lawrence Dunbar:
I was once told years ago that Bill Knowles, of Knowles Transport Ramsbottom was the founder of TNT Transport Ltd, ? Regards Larry.

It was definitely Ken Thomas who was the founder of TNT express in Australia Larry. In the early days of their activity in the UK they took over Inter county express & Knowles vanlines which may be where your friend Bill Knowles comes into the frame. The Inter county express stayed on the vehicles for some time along with the TNT stickers.

The TNT depot I knew was in Station road in Ramsbottom with another one just down the road a bit but I can’t recall the name of that one now but it may have been called Stubbins. TNT used it as a main garage & paint shop for all the new motors when I was with them. That’s no doubt changed now almost everything comes off the line painted.

I once sat through a video of the firm & it was very interesting to watch how the company grew to become a global name with planes, trains & even ships in its colours. It was an interesting firm to work for & I met some lovely people during the 9+ years I was with them.

BB