Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Dieseldogsix:

oiltreader:
I came across a thumbnail of these today and have blown them up a bit, there was no info with the pic, but the front bumper jogs my memory. I can’t remember if they were Anderson’s. or McKelvies, they ran steel from Ravenscraig to places like Sheffield and Brum, they were petrol Macks and boy did they power along, nothing else could live with them, the time would have been late 50s early 60s, personally I have had one come past me and the sound from the stack gave you that kinda “boy I would like a go in one of them” feeling.
This from a fading memory and I will stand corrected by anyone with more detailed knowledge of them.
oily

There you go Oily, it’s been restored

Do you know if that is the original colour in that restauration, still doesn’t look right from my memory but I’m certainly not going to argue with anyone on the basis of that. :unamused: :slight_smile:

Another thing is that, again my memory, I think that is unusual in being a 3 axle unit. Most of them were 2 axles, as were most of the B61s in Oz at that time. This one I believe is a left ■■■■■■ but difficult to see from the picture. Another unusual feature although I do remember reading that at least one was US rather than Oz spec.

The colour is still bugging me though, has anyone got genuine colour pics from the time to settle my head? :confused: :laughing:

One thing I would add to my previous post on these beasts. When I said they would steam past me on the A74 I should say that I was in a Scammell Highwayman with a max speed of 38 mph, :open_mouth: apart from Stainmore to Greta Bridge in angel gear of course. :wink: :laughing: