toleman

Hi guys. Nearly fell off my stool, thought i saw a picture of Phil Parsons working!! Only joking(rest his soul), maybe one of the best stewards i worked with, him & Roy Paxton made a good double act. A lot of these smaller companies at the time subbed out of Harwich, Abbey Hill to name but one, if it wasnt for the likes of Paxton & Parsons making sure these subbys paid the going rate to their drivers, those drivers would have been camping out at Harwich all week for crap money. I think the Toleman years were the best, good company, good conditions, good money, what more could you ask for? Then 20yrs on, it all got serious, no such thing as an accident, any chip or dent was someones fault. Then came the dreadded price undercutting!! When i finished my days at Walon Purfleet 6yrs ago, Walon got paid £15 to deliver a Vauxhall to Dartford, how can that be correct?? When i worked for Tolemans at Harwich in the 80s, the company got £75 per car, anywhere in the UK, work that out on a MKV with 12 fords onboard!!