J&R Adams Newcastle

Well I first got to know the Adams,s in 1957, they were rivals to Baxters on the Quayside, they were both involved with the Bacon haulage that was landed from Denmark, at 17 Shed & 9 Shed, Old Jimmy used to come down the Quay along with young Jimmy & Gordie Thomas, & load their wagons for Lancashire, Baxters lads allways worked along side Adams,s as they did with us, Young Jonny Baxter didnt like it but he never ever said anything to us , but Billy Shore the fitter used to tell us what his remarks were. It was hard graft in those days but at Baxters we could earn £19 19 shillings a week , mind you that was for 72 hrs. Jakeys men were on a similar sytem I believe trip money etc. Allthough there was friction between Jakey & Baxters we used to load back from Manchester off Harry Cullins in Todd Street who was manager of Jakeys office, & of course in later years Nigel & myself gotlots of work from Adams,s in fact they could back load us from anyware, & were also good payers. Its nice to see a family firm still going in these difficult times, Regards Larry.