Advice for Service Man looking to do Agency Work

hi I’m a newbie to site, as title says i am a service man (Army RLC ) looking to do some agency work. I have my Class 1 for over 10 years however I haven’t used it in a few. Any advice would be most welcome trying to get ready for the redundancy next year.

stevenmac08:
hi I’m a newbie to site, as title says i am a service man (Army RLC ) looking to do some agency work. I have my Class 1 for over 10 years however I haven’t used it in a few. Any advice would be most welcome trying to get ready for the redundancy next year.

WELCOME

Knowing your location might be useful

If you are working mon to fri then you are likely only to be able to do one day every other weekend due to the EU weekly rest rules
The mon to fri work counts as ‘other work’ for the rules

Thanks for the welcome. I will be hoping to work around Falkirk, Glasgow area and intend to work during leave at a week at a time.

If your redundancy is optional I would consider staying in.

I thought you got a re settlement scheme when you leave the army, when I was doing my c+e at ritchies recently the place was full of army boys doing every course under the sun, including one guy who had his c+e for 18 years but never really used it and was having a refresher course, all paid for.

Yes we get a resettlement package. However I’m trying to get ahead of the curve, and get some experience before leaving. I may book a refresher day.

I meant to say hi as well, I would recommend Ritchies, if you are in the Glasgow area.

Being an ex rlc driver myself little bit of advice I can offer, is sign up with a couple of agencies not just the one. and dont be too worried. if you have got your head screwed on then you wont have much trouble. the worst thing is the dreaded thought of oh my god what the hell do i do. working for a civi company is totaly diferant to anything you have done in the army. ie, convoy follow the truck in front. which is pretty much the norm. what I will say is read up on your drivers hours as that will be the biggest obstical. when i got out I done a my first couple of jobs doing class 2 work just to get my confidence up cos and im guessing even though you have your class one you probley havent touched an artic. truck and trailer mainly in the army which is draw-bar work. Make sure you have a digi card before you aproach any agencys as most companies have newer vehicles and you will need it. any more advice you may need give me a shout.

steve

hi steve
thanks for the advice, I have been reading up on Driving hours and digital tacho( Staff Car Driver at the moment lots of time in car!!!). Lucky I have driven Artics in the past (NI ) its just no practise for awhile. I must be honest reversing is my main worry, I do tow a caravan so some practise(sorry I know!!!)

stevenmac08:
hi steve
thanks for the advice, I have been reading up on Driving hours and digital tacho( Staff Car Driver at the moment lots of time in car!!!). Lucky I have driven Artics in the past (NI ) its just no practise for awhile. I must be honest reversing is my main worry, I do tow a caravan so some practise(sorry I know!!!)

Good luck with this, but prepare yourself for a steep learning curve, real world driving is very different to anything you will have experienced in the army :wink:

If I were you, I’d not mention you’d just got out of the army to other drivers. Recently ex-Army drivers are by far the worst…the reversing usually outs them as does strapping down loads the way they were taught to at ASMT/DST Leconfield/Bordon/wherever.

Thanks for the advice so far, I looking at doing some refresher training just to be safe. Especially reversing sorry, people ask me about my past or last job, I wont lie about being ex army proud of my service. I understand that the way DST taught loading and lashing may not be the way its done in civilian life but that why I would like advise and experience.

Quick update. Today I went to driver hire Grangemouth I stuck my name forward, home on leave for about three weeks. So hopefully I will begin to start to gain some well needed experience.

Pop into Manpower as well they do Royal Mail work,you being a squaddie there should not be so much guff about documentation and CRB checks.

Hi everyone a quick update. When I am currently on my first job for the agency doing a trunk of 3663(bidvest) from larbert to Warrington now sat at the service station at Gretna green on the return with 8hrs driving done and 1:45 left cutting it close I know. So far everyone today has been very helpfully and around good guys. Especially the two lads from royton( thanks ). My reverse ■■■■■ ( Army I know ) but hopefully will get better. Night all.

Nice one. Glad you got the work.

Cheers mate. Really enjoyed it, it was great to be driving wagons again on UK roads again!! However loaded my iPad with audio books and podcast not thinking that the radio in the cab wouldn’t be up to it, well live and learn !

Just thought I would do an update, well made redundant from the army and finished this week two month leave etc. got a job locally In Falkirk ( won’t name the company as I don’t know their rules on social media!!).

Thanks for all the info over the past few months.

Well 5 weeks into the job. Enjoying it mostly, night shift trunk work,lads are a good lot. Reversing getting there slowly ok very slowly.

Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_217 using Board Express

Good on ya pal.

Always a bonus,when you’re enjoying it ( mostly ). :wink: