ADR

sapper:
One for Diesel Dave methinks, or someone equally intelligent. I started my ADR today, the Tanks and Packages with 21 hrs DCPC as well, and I gave an answer to a question as this, “are passengers allowed to be carried in a vehicle that comes under the ADR regs, such as petrol tankers”, I said, no, unles they have a valid ADR, and was told that was not true, you can carry passengers and they do not need ADR, anyone point to the relevant rule?.

Sapper

Hi Sapper,

I’m afraid you were somewhat incorrect mate. :frowning:

The relevant rules are:
ADR 2011 8.3.1

8.3.1 Passengers
Apart from members of the vehicle crew, no passengers may be carried in transport units carrying dangerous goods.

So, a passenger can be carried as long as he/she can be regarded as being “a member of the vehicle crew.”

As a guideline for this, I’d suggest that it means a person who is employed by, or has permission from the owner of the vehicle (the ‘carrier’) to be on board.

A passenger does NOT need an ADR certificate, because:

ADR 2011 8.2.1.1

8.2.1.1 Drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods shall hold a certificate issued by the competent authority stating that they have participated in a training course and passed an examination on the particular requirements that have to be met during carriage of dangerous goods.

:bulb: The very first word of the quote is key to understanding this requirement.

It would be a different matter if the passenger were on board the vehicle (eg. double manned) for the purpose of driving it at some point during the journey though. In that circumstance, both people on board would need to be in possession of a valid and original ADR certificate. Photocopies aren’t allowed and there is no possibility to produce an ADR certificate at a police station like you can in the UK with a normal driving licence.

In a case where the passenger is NOT going to drive, then this general rule applies:

ADR 2011 8.2.3

8.2.3 Persons whose duties concern the carriage of dangerous goods by road shall have received training in the requirements governing the carriage of such goods appropriate to their
responsibilities and duties… .

I’m afraid that this quote doesn’t mean an ADR licence.
The requirement (from another part and chapter of ADR) is that the training must cover safe handling and emergency response, and be recorded and documented.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Good luck in your exams!!