McVEIGH & HUMBER McVEIGH

Hi
I served my vehicle apprenticeship at Two Counties Transport part of Ross Group just across from were Ross House is on Grimsby docks. Half the building was a vehicle workshop the other Half was for washing the lorries and loading wet fish in the afternoon.We used a lot of sawdust keeping our half dry. I started work in 1960 about 1962 Ross Group aquired Mc Veighs Transport which had a scruffy yard down Convemore Road there was even a chain driven vehicle there, Most the trucks were old leyand albion guys gardners a mixed fleet some ex WD petrol bedfords always breaking 1/2 shaft trying to get over Caistor top before motorways were built.
Anyway RossGroup built a new yard in Grimsby near Corporation bridge it is now the Tesco site they also aquired J Potts old scrap yard across the road from the transport yard, This was called COMREPS and looked after the Ross and Mcveigh fleet which in its day was very modern with 2 pits + 2 service pits a body shop but the paint shop stayed down dock this plot of land has just changed from PC World and is now Dunelm store i left approx 1971-72.
My Late father also drove for Parrots BRS McVeighs Ross Group and retired from Alpine Transport (Eskimo / Findus).
Some of the Fitters left Comreps to go work down Granvill street forHumber i could have also gone there, but chose to leave the transport industry to do marine work.Loved the site and Photos I have non from that period of my life Cheers all thanks for the memories Robert Johnson Ps The training i recieved has stood me well ive worked in Engineering for 50 years until retirment