Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

jdc:
Hi PR2100,

The trailers we had were all Marsden Vanplan 8 container trailers. In the beginning we never took wooden storage containers abroad but towards the end, the contract changed and so when a job was coming in to store you had to have containers on. That was bloody great, run out empty, load 8 containers, straight back, swop containers, back out and finish the job, The bigger the job, the better it got!!!

My work was mainly MOD so you would run out with 2/3/4 jobs on, deliver them, do a couple of internal moves within Germany and Denmark and then load up with army personnel coming back to the uk. You would then either have a couple of days in the UK delivering them or drop the trailer, collect another and back out and do it all over again.

Even if we were delivering to other parts of Europe, you would normally collect MOD work as a backload. Occasionally they would run you home empty but this was most unusual.

Unfortunately, I took very few photos which I regret now. We had a great time as there would be up to 20 trucks all weekended together. The Nobis at Asten was popular as those running out Sunday could make it in time for a ■■■■ up Sunday Night. The schwanhous at Venlo was also full with our lot over the weekends. Occasionally they would let you park on camp. PRB at Osnabrook allowed it but they had to ■■■■■■ you to where to park as you had to drive down the runway :open_mouth: Despite being a low paid job, I was richer then than ever as I was always away and never had time to spend and money :smiley: :smiley:

jdc
Do you remember a co by the name of James Nicholas ? used to do a lot of Mod work,Big Norm on the Sunday boat out of Ramsgate in his F6 w+d