Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

I did removals for a few years,bloody hard work and poorly paid. The only way I ever made any money from the job was in Europe. being young and single I was living off my night out money which was £20 a night in the 80`s, and saving my wages (and being creative with the running money!! :laughing: )

Paris was always a total nightmare.Loved the city, loved the vibe, just hated lumping peoples furniture up narrow stair cases or trying to avoid the concierge and use the two person cage lift! :laughing: No houses in Paris :smiling_imp: Loved the Peripherique, and driving an 18 metre A-Frame draw bar around the Arc de Triumph at rush hour is great fun :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If anyone wants to get into European driving then starting with a removal company that covers mainland Europe is not a bad idea. you will get some valuable experience, actually get into the towns and cities, meet the people and generally see alot more than the depot to depot, warehouse to warehouse runs that you may find yourself doing in general.

As for likes and dislikes, agree with the previous posts. You forgot…likes…fit lady customers, fit daughters :wink: , finding “marital aids” underneath beds or rolling around inside bedroom drawers (was carrying a large chest of drawers out once and a strange buzzing sound started to come from one of them, much to our amusement and delight and much to the extreme embarrassment of the lady of the house!! :laughing: ), getting weekended around the Mediterranean coastline, expecting a long hard few days graft (2000+ cube) that turns out to be half that. Being (zb)ed around by customs officials in whatever country you are in / trying to get into (more time out means more money in!)

Dislikes…dirty houses, skanky people, long walks, rude customers, no parking space reserved outside the house so either double park and block the road or a long walk, non tippers, those weird blokes (usually semi retired) who have a complete fitted workshop in their sheds / garage with every little draw labeled and numbered, every poxy little widget, screw, nut and bolt accounted for. Lofts that wernt viewed by the guess-timator (“cos there`s only a few bits in there”) and turn out to be full of crap. Having to unload stuff on your own around Europe cos the boss is to tight to (A) send someone with you and (B) to tight to hire labour in what ever city or town you are in (so I used to HIRE my own, that always cost him out of the running money!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink: ) Being (zb)ed around by UK customs at Dover / Folkestone / what ever your port of entry maybe, getting a full turn by the previously mentioned UK customs bods.

Im sure there is more but overall, despite being hard graft it was a good crack.