Double Manning ? AARRGGHH

I had to double man tonight for the first time in my life, anyway here goes the TM says we can do 30 hours, being 15 each i question him and he says i can show you the legal side of it if you want i said no no mate as you are the one in charge i,ll take your word for it.

So leaving the yard me and my colleague both put tachos in me in slot 1 and him in slot 2 as i am doing the forst 4.5 hours driving then we stop and change the tachos he says yo dont have to change the tachos i said YES you do as tacho 2 will not register driving, i know i am right so do it anyway.

So off we go then he has done his 4.5 hours drive then i say we both need a 45 minute break he says oh no we dont as i have had 4.5 hours doing nothing but as I explain to him oit would not register as a break as it is against the law to hav a break in a moving vehicle, needless to say we had the break.

So number one here i am looking for someone to verify this as i am sure i,m 100% correct ( i will beg down and pray forgiveness if i,m wrong).

So as it,s illegal to have a break in a moving truck is it legal to have a rest period in a moving truck as i am presuming the TM wanted mo not to put my tacho in until my mate had done his 15 hours??.

Please explain ■■.

from the VOSA website

FAQ.31) How long can drivers on multi-manned shifts be on duty?

The rules allow drivers on multi-manned shifts to take a minimum daily rest of 8 consecutive hours within each 30 hour period - meaning that they can work a maximum of 22 consecutive hours (including driving time, other work and breaks). For double-manned operations, this would involve each driver driving for no more than 9 hours (or 10 hours, which is possible twice a week), alternating driving every 4.5 hours - so that the other driver takes a break while the other driver drives. .

briefly Jammy ( cos I’ve got some sheep to move!!)

your boss is wrong on the 30 hours, you are wrong on the 45 min break it can be taken in a moving vehicle !! although a rest period can’t !!!

The best way if there is such a thing. The best way to double man is to refuse point blank. It should be banned, it is dangerous, anti social and beyond belief that it is legal for you to work for 22 hours, but if are alone & you go one minute over your ten hours driving, you are jeapordising road safety.

If you have to do it drive for about 3 hours and change drivers, do this 3 times and you will be amazed how much ground you cover. You can both sleep in the truck for 8 hours but by the time you both get a shower and into bed, talk about the day and stop your mate ■■■■■■■! You will be lucky to get 6 hours sleep, then it is legal to work for another 22 hours :open_mouth:

We use to do a lot of double manning when I use to drive for the lease company, as it would be two vehicles into a, one vehicle back collecting a second vehicle at b type of thing most weeks.
The best bit of advice I was given, by someone who learnt the hard way, was when double manning always make a note of where you change drivers on the back of the tacho when you change the charts over as this stops the “It wasn’t me who…” type of coversations when something goes wrong at an aproxamate time.

Denis F:
from the VOSA website

FAQ.31) How long can drivers on multi-manned shifts be on duty?

The rules allow drivers on multi-manned shifts to take a minimum daily rest of 8 consecutive hours within each 30 hour period - meaning that they can work a maximum of 22 consecutive hours (including driving time, other work and breaks). For double-manned operations, this would involve each driver driving for no more than 9 hours (or 10 hours, which is possible twice a week), alternating driving every 4.5 hours - so that the other driver takes a break while the other driver drives. .

briefly Jammy ( cos I’ve got some sheep to move!!)

your boss is wrong on the 30 hours, you are wrong on the 45 min break it can be taken in a moving vehicle !! although a rest period can’t !!!

Then how do you get the bed symbol up as i could not get it to come on when either i was driving or the other guy was it just showed square which is other work.

jammymutt:
Then how do you get the bed symbol up as i could not get it to come on when either i was driving or the other guy was it just showed square which is other work.

it that one of the electronic cd type tacho’s ?

Sorry Jammy, never used one so haven’t got a clue :blush: :blush: :blush:

I did find a Glasgow University website with some info about them on, but not enough to answer your question :exclamation:

The new CD type tacho’s go to the ‘other work’ mode for the 2nd driver automatically, as soon as the wagon starts moving. I don’t know why.

I have been working double manned for the last 7 years and although it can be a pain sometimes if you have a fall out with your co driver or your co driver smokes and you don’t, it works well for me as I am home every day because of the distance you can cover in a night. We do constant night shift, six hours of driving each in three hour periods, three hours driving and three hours sleeping five days a week, Monday to Friday.

In answer to the question of the tacho modes the new working time directive states that the box on the tacho is the period of availability and can be classed as a break period for your 45mins. When you are doing other work the tacho should be turned to crossed hammers and this is why the tacho automatically goes to the square on the second man position when the vehicle is moving as it can only be a period of availability or a break when driving in a team.

JDB:
I have been working double manned for the last 7 years and although it can be a pain sometimes if you have a fall out with your co driver or your co driver smokes and you don’t, it works well for me as I am home every day because of the distance you can cover in a night. We do constant night shift, six hours of driving each in three hour periods, three hours driving and three hours sleeping five days a week, Monday to Friday.

In answer to the question of the tacho modes the new working time directive states that the box on the tacho is the period of availability and can be classed as a break period for your 45mins. When you are doing other work the tacho should be turned to crossed hammers and this is why the tacho automatically goes to the square on the second man position when the vehicle is moving as it can only be a period of availability or a break when driving in a team.

But that was the point, double manning is dangerous if you areworking 30 hours and then 2 people trying to sleep in a truck for 6 hours, Its different if you are going home and sleeping in your own bed

i said it worked well for me, theres no way i would want to do it any longer than i do at the moment,(14 hours) we were hoping the wtd was going to mean shorter working week but it has’nt changed one bit.