7.5 Tonners Banned From Using Third Lane From January?

As stated in the topic, is this true?? I have been told this by a couple of people but would like confirmation that it is now the law,

Thanks

MrA

I havent read anything about this, yet, but why not?

How can a bus or coach be banned from the outside lane and an unstable box van with 4 tonne on car tyres driven by a spotty youth legally do 70mph in the overtaking lane all day long :open_mouth:

Apologies to Spotty Youths :stuck_out_tongue:

They would need to be something like 28 year old spotty youths if they have’nt passed the LGV test.

As far as I know no decision has been made yet about banning 7.5 tonners from lane 3. From 1/1/05 all new 7.5 tonners need limiters.

Calv (a 46 year old sometime 7.5 ton driver!!!) (does that make me a spotty youth by default??)

Calv:
(does that make me a spotty youth by default??)

or a spotty old git :question: :wink: :smiling_imp:

It took a lot of searching but if you go here; http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043258.htm and providing you have a legal dictionary to hand you will find the answer!
For those of you that cannot be bothered, I believe the answer is; If the vehicle exceeds 3.5 tonnes but not 7.5 tonnes and is fitted with a speed limiter then you are banned from the outside lane of a three or more lane motorway as of 01/01/2005. This will apply to all goods vehicle matching the weight descrpition first used on or after 01/01/2005 unless they are only used in the UK, in which case the magic date becomes; 01/01/2008. Vehicles first used on/after 01/10/2001 but before 01/01/2005 will need to have limiter fitted and working from 01/01/2006 (if used internationally) or 01/01/2007 (if only used domestically). Once limiter is fitted and working then you are not allowed in outside lane of 3 lane motorway, just the same as other HGVs’.