Digi Tacho - Change of Address

Hi guys…long time, no post, but I come with a slight issue that I don’t know the answer to nor can I find it.

I recently sent off a form to DVLA to change the address on my digi tacho card, and very promptly, they’ve sent me my replacement through the post. But included with this new card is a letter saying that I must return my ‘old’ card to DVLA no later than 28 days, as it’s illegal to hold 2 cards at once…of which I can understand.

However, what if I’m stopped at the roadside by VOSA next week and they ask me to produce the last 28 days records, which are on my ‘old’ card…how can I comply with this if I’ve sent my ‘old’ card with those 28 days records, back to DVLA?

I called up DVLA about this and explained the situation to them, and their advice was that I needed to take up the issue with VOSA, but guess what day it is today? That’s right…VOSA are mon-fri! To be honest, I think I’ll just keep my old card on me and let the 28 days elapse before sending it off.

I’d just keep it til 28 days have passed and then return it. Would be more concerned with what vosa would have to say if I couldn’t show last 28 days tacho info than what dvla would say if I didn’t return the card in 28 days.

as far as I am aware there is no requirement to update the address on your digi-card :slight_smile: I havn’t on mine and I moved 3 years ago :blush:

Lycanthrope:
as far as I am aware there is no requirement to update the address on your digi-card :slight_smile: I havn’t on mine and I moved 3 years ago :blush:

Really?..I thought you had to?..Otherwise what’s the point of having your address on it? But oh well, as I said, I’ll probably just wait until after the 28 days and then return it.

Coffeeholic:
You don’t need to change your address on your digi card, you can just wait until it needs renewing. As long as you have changed the address on your licence you will still get the renewal forms when the time comes as that is the address they go by. There is no legal requirement to change the address on the digi card the way there is with a licence.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78382

Amazing what you can find by using the Search facility :stuck_out_tongue:

You could do a print out for each day and keep them and send your card off

Adam_Mc:
However, what if I’m stopped at the roadside by VOSA next week and they ask me to produce the last 28 days records, which are on my ‘old’ card…how can I comply with this if I’ve sent my ‘old’ card with those 28 days records, back to DVLA?

The 28 day thing is for charts and manual records such as required printouts, not digi card data. The requirement is -

be able to produce at the roadside:
— charts and any legally required manual records for the current day and the previous 28 calendar days; and
— the driver’s digital smart card if they hold one.

No 28 days attached to the production of the card so you only have to produce the new card, there is nothing in the legislation which says how much data must be on that card. If you get stopped and have no charts and printouts and only produce your new card you have met the requirements of the regulations. VOSA will know it is a new card and will not be concerned if it only has a few days on it. If they have any suspicions and want to check back further they will get the data from whoever you have worked for.

Adam_Mc:
I think I’ll just keep my old card on me and let the 28 days elapse before sending it off.

You might as well send the old card back now so you don’t go over the 28 day return policy and you don’t get grief if stopped with two working cards in your possession, there is no need for printouts or anything else. Just make sure it has been downloaded before returning it.

In days of old when they didn’t post the new card after change of address and you had to collect it from a local DVLA office or VOSA testing station, if you turned up without the old card to hand in you wouldn’t get the new card.

selby newcomer:
I’d just keep it til 28 days have passed and then return it. Would be more concerned with what vosa would have to say if I couldn’t show last 28 days tacho info than what dvla would say if I didn’t return the card in 28 days.

I’d be more concerned about what they would say when they find you have two working cards in your possession than a non existent requirement to show 28 days on the card. :wink:

When the card expires you keep the old one but in that case it can no longer be written to after it expires so you don’t have two cards at the same time.

Coffeeholic:

selby newcomer:

I’d be more concerned about what they would say when they find you have two working cards in your possession than a non existent requirement to show 28 days on the card. :wink:

When the card expires you keep the old one but in that case it can no longer be written to after it expires so you don’t have two cards at the same time.

Very good point there coffee, I had it in my head that the op’s card had expired, as I have just renewed mine and kept the old one for 28 days before I stopped carrying it with me.