Help with a taco problem please

I was always told to do 16 mins and 31 or 46 whichever way I wanted to do my breaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I start at say 7 by the time I put my card in its usually about 7:10 then do manual entry to say started at 7 and other work 7:01 -7:10 then do my checks so by the time you’ve done your checks it’s usually about 7:20 so you’ve had 19 mins other work which is plenty . Always do manual entry!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^ You do know this thread is over 7 years old don’t you :smiley:

Lmao [emoji23] so why did it come up as a notification for tonight [emoji2962] teach me not to read the date on something lmao [emoji23]

As it’s an old thread things have changed slightly, for a 2nd gen tacho late 2011 onwards, you’ll need to drive enough to get the tacho to record 1 min of driving, which depending on where you are on the current minute will mean you’ll have to drive for between 30 seconds and a minute before the tacho will record 1 minute of driving

Hello all,yesterday at work i was called in to see a transport manager who informed me that i had picked up three infringements :blush: for insufficient rest on the set timed run i’m doing at the moment.What had happened was that I had put my dig card in on other work carried out my checks on my rigid for two minutes then put the taco on break for fifteen minutes.I then drove from Slough to Reading to load,loaded straight away then drove to Swindon to tip.After tipping i parked up for thirty minutes on break then drove down to Portsmouth to load for Slough.When i was handed my infringement sheet my first break is on there but i was told that it doesn’t count because the vehicle didn’t move,is this right?

Many thanks in advance for your answers I would be grateful if someone could set me right on this.

That’s digi tachos for you. For 15 minute break you must take at least 17. For 30 minutes break you must take at least 32. Individually it’s not much time, but spread over all the digi truckers out there it is a hell of a lot of lost minutes.

Fortunately, VOSA are aware of this and can sometimes be reasonable when bribed,

Sorry , didnt read your original post properly (happens often on trucknet)

I have asked a similar question to yours before and the replies I got said you have to move your vehicle (drive mode) for at least a whole minute before you can take your first break.

the first 15 minute break would only count for working time break as it says in the rules your driving time break must be in driving time…you had not driven…hence you were not breaking a driving period…i was caught out by this…if you drive across the yard a short distance just enough to rack up a period of driving,even 1 minute will do…then your 15 would count.

xamtex:
the first 15 minute break would only count for working time break as it says in the rules your driving time break must be in driving time…you had not driven…hence you were not breaking a driving period…i was caught out by this…if you drive across the yard a short distance just enough to rack up a period of driving,even 1 minute will do…then youir 15 would count.

Cheers xamtex thats a straighter answer then the one i got off the TM :smiley:

Yep, for the EU Driver’s hours rules breaks interrupt periods of driving, so you cannot have a break that counts toward your 45 minutes until you have driven.

Solution to your problem is while doing the vehicle checks just move the truck forward a few feet, so you can check the bits of the tyres it was sitting on, and then do what you were doing. Just look at the mode display and as soon as that changes to the wheel symbol you have driven far enough. That will record a minute of driving and your 15 minutes will now count as a break from driving.

Squiddy:
That’s digi tachos for you. For 15 minute break you must take at least 17. For 30 minutes break you must take at least 32.

Must? Nah, sorry that’s nonsense.

You could just look at the bit of the display that shows how long you have been on the current mode, press down arrow once and look at bottom right corner of the display, and when that shows 15 or 30 minutes you have had 15 or 30 minutes and can crack on if you want to.

Squiddy:
That’s digi tachos for you. For 15 minute break you must take at least 17. For 30 minutes break you must take at least 32. Individually it’s not much time, but spread over all the digi truckers out there it is a hell of a lot of lost minutes.

Fortunately, VOSA are aware of this and can sometimes be reasonable when bribed,

i’m not sure why you think this, or even why you’ve found this is necessary, but the above info is
complete nonsense.

Time is what it ‘says on the tin’. 15 mins is 15 mins. 30 mins is 30 mins.

Coffeeholic:

Squiddy:
That’s digi tachos for you. For 15 minute break you must take at least 17. For 30 minutes break you must take at least 32.

Must? Nah, sorry that’s nonsense.

You could just look at the bit of the display that shows how long you have been on the current mode, press down arrow once and look at bottom right corner of the display, and when that shows 15 or 30 minutes you have had 15 or 30 minutes and can crack on if you want to.

I agree, I’ve always checked my break times by the duration shown on the display rather than calculating the time to the end of break, I’ve never had a problem even though there have been occasions when I’ve moved the vehicle when the tachograph has been showing exactly 15/30/45 minutes.

When the vehicle is stationary and the tachograph set to break press the down arrow to get the screen shown in the image.

Bottom right hand corner shows the duration of the current break, top right hand corner shows the accumulated duration of breaks.

Tachograph Showing Duration of Break.jpg

@ thornypete1: As already said you cannot have a driving break until you’ve done some driving :wink:

Squiddy:

We’re told to do this where i work but its only to “be on the safe side”. Whats the issue anyway, i like the fact i’m told to take alittle bit extra for break :smiley:.

were also told to take at least 50 mins instead of 45. Ive always though that at least 50 mins means an hour :smiley: :wink:

i’m surprised you haven’t been pulled up for only taking 2 minutes to do your walkround checks.

i’ve allways been told i need to show atleast 10 minutes to do my walkround. i know it doesn’t take that long, just enough time to make a cuppa and then walk round drinking it.

mucker85:
i’m surprised you haven’t been pulled up for only taking 2 minutes to do your walkround checks.

i’ve allways been told i need to show atleast 10 minutes to do my walkround. i know it doesn’t take that long, just enough time to make a cuppa and then walk round drinking it.

There is no set time required to be shown for checks.

why would you want to put it on break as soon as you started work■■?

I dont bother showing a daily check, i get all that done first then get inside and fill my tacho in and tick my check sheet off.