Can I do occasional agency work at weekends?

I’ve recently passed my Cat C (4/2/11) and currently drive a bin lorry full time (Mon-Fri 0800-1700 with 1hour lunch breaks).

To increase my experience (and as potential insurance in case of redundancy), I’m thinking about doing some weekend agency work to get some driving time in different vehicles.

If I did a 8/9 hour shift one day (Saturday/Sunday) every other weekend, would I still be getting sufficient weekly rest to be legal?

Yes.

Coffeeholic:
Yes.

Nice, simple answers are always good! Thanks :smiley:

Hi. I have a similar question to this. I work in a factory Monday to Friday (hours are 13:45 - 21:45) but I am looking to try and gain some cat C experience. How many days and hours could I do a part time driving job for?

Being new to the industry I’m a little confused

Thanks, Rob

fastlad21:
Hi. I have a similar question to this. I work in a factory Monday to Friday (hours are 13:45 - 21:45) but I am looking to try and gain some cat C experience. How many days and hours could I do a part time driving job for?

Being new to the industry I’m a little confused

Thanks, Rob

In weeks when you drive to EU regulations you should have a 45 hour weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest period of no less than 24 hours.

It depends on what shifts you could get driving but generally I’d say you would find it difficult to work more than 1 day every other week and still have the required weekly rest periods.

Thank you for your reply. That is what I was thinking.