weekly rest and holidays

Don’t understand why holiday counts 8 hours each day instead of rest. Surely when you do manual entry you put break… So how does using holiday and working normal rest day as overtime for example show not enough weekly rest?

space1999:
Don’t understand why holiday counts 8 hours each day instead of rest. Surely when you do manual entry you put break… So how does using holiday and working normal rest day as overtime for example show not enough weekly rest?

It’s only for the WTD, if your off sick you count each day as 8 hrs , a week is 48 it’s daft as you could be in hospital in a coma and you’d still have to have time counted , go work that one out :unamused:

But when you do manual entry after holiday or sick etc you put been on break since end of last shift so how does Wtd know or register?

Does your company bother with the WTD ? - if no then don’t worry about it - the authorities don’t seem to be bothered

If the company does bother then it is up to them to keep track of the average not the driver - the driver is responsible for giving the records of work to the company which is all contained in the tacho cards or downloads

space1999:
But when you do manual entry after holiday or sick etc you put been on break since end of last shift so how does Wtd know or register?

Your employer will record 48 hours for a full weeks holiday or 8 hours for individual days, it still counts as rest for the drivers hours regulations though.

Ok I get it now although it’s a weird law if you ask me. I best not do it then ta for replies. Wonder if Wtd will go when we leave em… Just leaving that here

The idea of it is that holidays have be be kept neutral for the 48 hour week, this will suit people who are salaried because their holidays can’t be used to reduce the average 48 hours, but if you’re hourly paid and wanting to maximise your earning it can work against you.

That would be me then as paid by the hour… Oh well thank tachograph

space1999:
That would be me then as paid by the hour… Oh well thank tachograph

That’s when poa kicks in or the use of break as long as the company don’t deduct breaks

Just a quick one, I work Tuesdays to Saturdays with Monday being available for overtime. I have 9 days holiday to use up by the end of Feb and was thinking about booking Tuesdays and Wednesdays off so I can work every Monday. This is probably a stupid question but will this be ok to do as I know holiday is counted as hours towards the WTD? So will this still count as weekly rest? cheers

Yes. aslong as you dont do max hours towards the wtd (48hrs duty)week in week out :smiley: :smiley:

Harlow_wannabe:
Just a quick one, I work Tuesdays to Saturdays with Monday being available for overtime. I have 9 days holiday to use up by the end of Feb and was thinking about booking Tuesdays and Wednesdays off so I can work every Monday. This is probably a stupid question but will this be ok to do as I know holiday is counted as hours towards the WTD? So will this still count as weekly rest? cheers

Holiday can be counted as weekly rest so there’s no problem there, the two days holiday should still be counted as 8 hours each for the RT(WT)R though so you may need to watch the 48 hour average week.

Sorry for the late reply but I’ve only just seen the thread :blush: