Am I having enough weekly rest?

I work 6 days a week every week form sunday morning to friday night My usual start time is around 0430 am and finish 1700pm. I normaly get 11 hours daily rest but never take more than 36 hours at the end of the week. Am i legal :question:

By my reckoning you are not legal as you are not compensating for you reduced weekly rests.

You have reduced your weekly rest by 9 hrs and this needs to be made up by the end of the 3rd following week. It must also be made up en-bloc (cannot be split). You would be able to do 2 weeks as you are, then the 3rd week you would finish at 17-00 on the friday and not start till 0800 on the following Monday morning. This would compensate for all your reductions and wipe the slate clean to start another 2 weeks of 6 days.

This is all assuming that you have an 11 hrs break each night.

I agree with Steve.

Got asked by a colleague about his weekly rest today and thought I’d ask the experts. He is on Class 2 and the job only lasts six hours or so.

The MD who is acting TM :open_mouth: has told my colleague that he will not be allowed to continue working as he is at the minute as he is not getting enough rest.

Take a look at a typical week for him…

Sunday 0300-1000
Monday 0300-0900
Tuesday 0300-0900
Wednesday 0300-0900
Thursday 0300-0900
Friday 0300-0900
Saturday Rest

Each day comprises of FOUR hours driving MAX. This pattern is repeated week in, week out ie. he doesn’t compensate on the 3rd week.

Reckoning that up (42hours) would he need to start at 0900 on the third Sunday? That still leaves 11 hours rest until Monday morning too.

Anyroad, the question is… is the above legal as it stands and if not, what must he do to make sure it is (or did I answer that?). Other solutions greatly received too :slight_smile:

Thanks…

He is legal as it stand and can keep on doing what he is doing every week.

He is having 42 hours weekly rest between 09:00 Friday and 03:00 Sunday which means he must compensate for the 3 hours reduuction in weekly rest by the end of the third week following the reduction. This must be taken in one block and attached to another rest period (daily or weekly) of at least 8 hours. He is having a daily rest period after working on a Sunday of 17 hours so he has compensated for it there. Rather than waiting three weeks to make the compensation he has done it the very next day. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The MD may be a very good MD but he ■■■■■ as an acting TM. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

In the main, we are mainly 10-12hrs/day drivers and he (MD) is implementing our normal rota on this guy. Obviously doing less hours this is not applicable to him as you have kindly pointed out Coffee.

Saying that though, I wasn’t sure myself so there’s no chance of a promotion for me yet then :frowning: Or would that be demotion? :stuck_out_tongue:

Many thanks for the quick response Coffee. I will inform my workmate of the good news… I say good news but 6 days/week EVERY week would be serious BAD news for me hehe

Right, bedtime… :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
He is legal as it stand and can keep on doing what he is doing every week.

Up in the land of the living again :slight_smile:

Right, another quickie if I may :slight_smile: Let’s just say then, for whatever reason, that he wasn’t able to finish until 1000 on one particular Friday instead of 0900.

Does that now become incumbent for him to start LATER on the Sunday morning or can that still be done like the above ie.Can you recover weekly rest by REDUCING daily rest and then recover the daily rest the next day :question: :confused:

Many thanks.

Saxon786:
Right, another quickie if I may :slight_smile: Let’s just say then, for whatever reason, that he wasn’t able to finish until 1000 on one particular Friday instead of 0900.

If he finished at 10:00 instead of 09:00 that would mean a weekly rest of 41 hours leaving 4 to be compensated for, using the same rules as I mentioned above. As he has 17 hours daily rest Sunday/Monday and 18 hours on the other days of the week he easily compensates for the 4 hours on any one of those daily rests.

Saxon786:
Does that now become incumbent for him to start LATER on the Sunday morning or can that still be done like the above ie.Can you recover weekly rest by REDUCING daily rest and then recover the daily rest the next day

He doesn’t need to start later as he is compensating for the reduction on any one of his daily rests. You aren’t recovering weekly rest by reducing daily rest, just by adding it onto a daily rest of 11 hours in this case. It possible to reduce a rest to 9 hours and use extra for compensation if needed.