Unit only on a class 2 licence?

Rob K:

Coffeeholic:

lee mc67:
I was always under the impression it went on axle weights and what the unit was plated for.

It is amazing how long people can hold a wrong impression. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Number of axles, axle weights or plating weights have no bearing on this issue.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61614

A very appropriate time for my new favourite…

It’s funny how loads of things just get mixed up.

hope some of you guys can help, can u drive a unit only on a class 2 licence ? im hearing conflicting info that u can, proved fifth wheel is removed, im also hearing that you can drive a unit only, because a class 2 licence means that u can drive anything thats up to 38tons provided its not articulated, confusing or what â– â– ?

Removing the 5th wheel is a complete myth, the +E means any trailer, so if you have a C you can drive anything without a trailer.

Grabs popcorn, sits back and watches :wink:

cheers fellas

Harry Monk:
Grabs popcorn, sits back and watches :wink:

This is usually quite a good show eh Harry ? :stuck_out_tongue: I have seen it many times now :slight_smile:

Forget Class 2 and class 1, those licences no longer exist, and haven’t done for a long time now. There is one type of licence for driving trucks, over 7.5t, these days and that is a C licence.

If you have a C licence you can drive any truck, and a tractor unit is just a truck.

There is an additional category, E, which allows you to pull trailers with the truck you are driving on a C licence. However a solo tractor unit is obviously not pulling a trailer so you don’t need the E bit.

Simple eh?

I couldn’t have explained it better myself Coffee :smiley:

Lycanthrope:
I couldn’t have explained it better myself Coffee :smiley:

Sorry, I started to answer this post just after it was posted but got sidetracked for about 30 minutes. :blush: :blush:

Coffeeholic:
Forget Class 2 and class 1, those licences no longer exists, and haven’t done for a long time now. There is one type of licence for driving trucks, over 7.5t, these days and that is a C licence.

If you have a C licence you can drive any truck, and a tractor unit is just a truck.

There is an additional category, E, which allows you to pull trailers with the truck you are driving on a C licence. However a solo tractor unit is obviously not pulling a trailer so you don’t need the E bit.

Simple eh?

its crystal clear now somebody has expained it properly…

postman pat:
hope some of you guys can help, can u drive a unit only on a class 2 licence ? im hearing conflicting info that u can, proved fifth wheel is removed, im also hearing that you can drive a unit only, because a class 2 licence means that u can drive anything thats up to 38tons provided its not articulated, confusing or what â– â– ?

Category C,apparently you can drive anything up to 35t. I have just Cat C,and can drive anything up to 35t rigid,as said,and,get this…I can have a trailer,up to 750kg. Yet,my licence does not allow me to tow a trailer on my car :unamused:

C Vehicles over 3,500 kg, with a trailer up to 750 kg 21*, **

from >here< (not spam :grimacing: )

K27:
Category C,apparently you can drive anything up to 35t.

There is no weight limit for a C licence but there are not many trucks around built with weight limits over 32 tonnes

K27:
my licence does not allow me to tow a trailer on my car

Oh yes you can…
INFO SOURCE
On a ‘B’ (car) licence you can tow a trailer BUT the combined weight of the vehicle & trailer must not exceed 3.5 tonnes so…
You can use a 2 tonne vehicle to tow a 1.5 tonne trailer

K27:
I can have a trailer,up to 750kg

That limit of 750kgs is for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes if the driver does not have a +E on their licence for the catagory being driven

It is confusing as there are 2 sets of rules - one for vehicles under 3.5 tonnes and another for those over 3.5 tonnes.

aha…well done Rog,thanks for putting me right

Just to add to the mix you can pull a trailer or caravan weighing more than 750k without +E, as long as the combined mam doesn’t exceed 3.5 tonnes and the trailer doesn’t exceed the kerb weight of the towing vehicle. once over 3.5t then +E applies to any trailer over 750kg mam. (i think I got that right)

for the op, had this fifth wheel bollox whilst at DHL shunting, when I was told by a TM I couldn’t take a unit for service, I think that was the same TM who said I didn’t need to put a card in, going to/from workshops :open_mouth: .

There is no weight limt, you could drive a 100 tonne crane on C.

MADBAZ:
Just to add to the mix you can pull a trailer or caravan weighing more than 750k without +E, as long as the combined mam doesn’t exceed 3.5 tonnes and the trailer doesn’t exceed the kerb weight of the towing vehicle. once over 3.5t then +E applies to any trailer over 750kg mam. (i think I got that right)

Yep but the bit in blue is a recommendation and not law

MADBAZ:
had this fifth wheel bollox whilst at DHL shunting, when I was told by a TM I couldn’t take a unit for service

Probably an aged TM who was still referring to the old HGV rules where a CLASS 1 HGV was needed for the unit as it was deemed to be part of an artic whether attatched to a trailer or not.

I beg to disagree Rog,

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle’s handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

ROG:

MADBAZ:
had this fifth wheel bollox whilst at DHL shunting, when I was told by a TM I couldn’t take a unit for service

Probably an aged TM who was still referring to the old HGV rules where a CLASS 1 HGV was needed for the unit as it was deemed to be part of an artic whether attatched to a trailer or not.

An aged TM or indeed someone on TN posting â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  because neither are correct. You could still drive a unit only on a Class 2 or 3, depending if it was a unit with 2 or 3 axles, in the days before C and C+E licences.

I hadn’t had my license long & on agency, TM mentioned that tractor had to go for service, I volunteered (a drive in a proper truck) but got shot down when he said I couldn’t cos I am class 2, I tried to argue but other drivers stepped in and backed him up with ffth wheel covered/off b/s & I wouldn’t be able to drive bobtail cos its bouncy etc. I was the new guy and knew f/all seemed to be their attitude. They once wouldn’t let me out in a hire Stralis 6x2 rigid with rear steer cos I might find it comes round too quick! I learnt a lot in the few weeks there but managed to separate the mmtm from what was actually correct.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

MADBAZ:

An aged TM or indeed someone on TN posting â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  because neither are correct. You could still drive a unit only on a Class 2 or 3, depending if it was a unit with 2 or 3 axles, in the days before C and C+E licences.

That is what I got told many many years ago but as the law changed and I never had to verify it then I simply assumed it was correct - I know - â– â– â–  U ME :wink: :laughing:

ROG:
That is what I got told many many years ago but as the law changed and I never had to verify it then I simply assumed it was correct - I know - â– â– â–  U ME :wink: :laughing:

No just â– â– â–  U, not me in this case.