Help please? Speed limits for vans

Ok guys and girls.

A friend of mine has a Mercedes Vito Van, he was stopped by the Police, on a single carriageway, with National speed limit (40mph for most of us) for doing 65mph.

He has received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for speeding :open_mouth:

The point of this is, the fact that he was told that the speed limit for his van, on this type of road is 40mph :open_mouth: :open_mouth: He pointed out to the boys in blue, that it was only a 1.5t van, their reply - ‘It’s still 40mph, you are classified as an HGV’ :confused:

I have checked the plated weights and they are-

Axle 1 - 1470kgs
Axle 2 - 1470kgs

I have checked the Highway Code and am sure that the speed limit for this type of van is 60mph and falls into the same catergory as a car.

Can anyone back me up, my mate even went to the local police station and was told the same as the police stated roadside.

He has gone NOT Guilty and is due in court next month.

Any advice appreciated

John

cornish trucker:
I have checked the Highway Code and am sure that the speed limit for this type of van is 60mph and falls into the same catergory as a car.

John

before I looked at http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 I thought the speed limit for vans was 60mph and your friend was speeding by doing 65mph ( but only a little bit ! )

however the Highway code website says NSL 60mph Single carriageway applies to cars and car derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight.
Anything above that weight seems to come into the category “Goods vehicles
(not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)” making the speed limit in this case 50mph
:exclamation: :exclamation: :question: :question:

TMOH’04 agrees - Speed limit should be 50 - so he was speeding but not as much as the policeman thought! -

IMHO the police are definitely wrong on this one. There was a letter in the motoring pages of the Daily Telegraph recently which said that only “car derived” vans like a Renault Kangoo are subject to car speed limits. A Mercedes Vito van is not car derived so will be subject to lower speed limits but not HGV limits.

For a light commercial (under 7.5 ton gross) the limits are

single carriageway 50 mph
dual carriageway 60 mph
Motorway 70 mph

(unless posted lower)

I drive a 7.5 tonner or a Sprinter van and these are the limits I drive to. There is a chart in the highway code if I remember correctly

Depending on the interpretation of his vehicle, he is either 5 mph, 15 mph, or 25 mph over the speed limit for that vehicle :open_mouth:

Hope this helps

Calv

Hi John,

The speed limit for that vehicle on a sigle carrigeway road is actually 50 mph, to quote the FTA book of road transport law “Rigid goods vehicles (not being a car derived van) up to 7.5 tonnes gvw and not drawing a trailer. Motorway 70 mph, Dual carrigeway 60 mph, Other roads 50 mph”

If your mate could convince the authoritys that his Vito is infact a car derived van then the limit would be 60 mph, I hope this helps. By the way I am just up the road in Lanson (Launceston).

Cheers Bernie.

Calv:
Not sure how your mate can proceed from here, but I would get a solicitor and get it to court, then surely the magistrate will throw it out, and hopefully award costs against the police.

Calv

he was still doing 65 in a 50 limit :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Thanks guys, it was the bit about car derived vans that was getting me, although the Vito is available as a mini mpv :question:

He is going to seek advice, but at the end of the day he was either 5mph or 15mph over the limit.

BERNIEROBS - message in your inbox

John :smiley:

Crikey :exclamation:

The key thing here to me is the fact that the Merc Vito is actually available in ‘car’ form as an MPV thingy which are definitely classed as cars.

If they pull you on the ‘it’s a van and you were using it as a van so therefore the 50mph limit applies’ I would argue the fact that the MPV version of it has the same axle weights as the van so therefore you could also load the MPV with the same weight you were carrying in the van so what’s the difference exactly, officer :question: . I think you’d get away being 5mph over the limit as ‘you were keeping up with the flow of traffic’ is always a winner (if there was traffic about of course :slight_smile: ).

It shouldn’t even come to that argument though as I think the fact there’s an MPV car variety then therefore there’s no question it’s a car-derived van and car speed limits apply.

Additionally, the fact that the copper doesn’t actually know the law (deja-vu :question: ) will hold some weight in court and even more so if you’ve got your NIP saying you were exceeding the 40mph goods vehicle speed limit (SP10).

I think you’ve got a good case in your defence but choose your solicitor carefully, there’s a lot of bad-eggs about that are only interested in your ££££ and don’t do a good job of arguing in your defence.

Do let us know how you go on and hope the above may be of use :slight_smile:

Denis F:

Calv:
Not sure how your mate can proceed from here, but I would get a solicitor and get it to court, then surely the magistrate will throw it out, and hopefully award costs against the police.

Calv

he was still doing 65 in a 50 limit :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You’re right Denis, I misread that sentence and have now edited the original reply.

Calv

Ok.

Further update, thanks for all your help so far. Yes my mate admits, whether commercial or car derived van, he was over the speed limit, what now varies is the ammount ie - if he is commercial, then he was 15mph over, if he is a car derived van, then 5mph over.

Have been on to Mercedes and now have there Vito mini mpv sales brochure sat in front of me, it states - ‘this mini mpv is also available in van form’ :smiley:

Therefore, as far as I am concerned, my mates Vito Van is a car derived van, what do you think :question:

He has an appointment with the solicitor tomorrow, to see where he goes from here.

Thanks again

John

:slight_smile: Denis F and Calv are correct in their posts.

The Merc Vito is classed as a Panel Van, not a car derived van.
Therefore the 50 limit applies on single carriageway roads as many van drivers have found out to their cost, (especially Sprinter drivers… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: )
Also the limit on a dual carriageway is 60, not 70, as many panel van drivers seem not to realise.

I always think of a car derived van as one with access to the back of the engine block possible by lifting the bonnet. Examples are : ■■■■■■ van, astra van, citroen berlingo, volkswagen caddy.
Examples of Panel vans : transit, vito, sprinter , toyota hi.ace, vw transporter.

Also think of it this way : a car derived van only has one passenger seat alongside the driver , whereas you can usually squeeze 2 passengers alongside the driver in a panel van, usually, but not always, on a twin seat.

The police were wrong initially and should have said "The limit is 50 on this type of road, you are classed as a Light Goods Vehicle.

Good Luck, - it might be worth trying to baffle the magistrates as well ,seeing as the traffic police aren’t too sure of their facts !! :wink: :wink:

may be an idea to take his lead boots off :laughing: :laughing:

You learn something new every day…! I would’ve said vans can do the same speed as cars, obviously not!

so i can get my transit with windows and seats in,does this mean its car dereived van■■?

redvanman:
so i can get my transit with windows and seats in,does this mean its car dereived van■■?

I would call a transit with windows and seats a minibus, not a car. I think trying to call a transit a car is pushing any definition of the word.

redvanman:

only if the weights are right

from above :-

however the Highway code website says NSL 60mph Single carriageway applies to cars and car derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight.

brummie:
You learn something new every day…! I would’ve said vans can do the same speed as cars, obviously not!

Me too Brummie :astonished: :confused:

Rob K:

brummie:

Me too Brummie :astonished: :confused:

Me too. I always thought if it was under 3.5t it was the same limit as a car.

speed limits for vans? are you sure? i thought it was how hard you could press the pedal! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When did they change that?
My old highway code says that the reduced limits only apply over 3.5tonnes, which means that sprinters can do car speeds.

Surely regardless of the fact he was speeding if the police get the prosecution wrong, i.e. 40mph & not 50 or 60 then its a wrongfull prosecution & as you cannot be prosecuted for the same offence twice. I would personally keep quiet untill court & then make the the police case look the foolish prosecution it is.
The mpv issue could muddy the water even more, leaving one little tax collecting piglet looking even more foolish.